What's new
What's new

follow rest for 10 EE

ken moss

Stainless
I don't have a 10EE but I picked up a 3 point follow rest for one . The other day on a trip as I don't have a 10 ee I am going the sell this follow rest but I need to know what these things are going for. I am first going to offer it to a friend that has a 10 EE Thanks Ken

First you need to establish which model of 10ee it fits: square dial or round dial. If you measure the distance from the center of the steady rest to the vee way, it should be 6 3/4" if it fits a square dial, 6 1/4" if it fits a round dial.

One of these sold for $610 on eBay. Another one got bid up to $995 before the seller ended the auction early:

follow%20rest.jpg

Cal

Cal thats the one I have Thanks ken
WOW! That's the Roll-Royce of follower rests! If your buddy doesn't want it he doesn't know what he's looking at.

Any chance you might loan it out so that it could be drawn up for possible duplication? We're taking about making up some steady and follower rest bodies in another thread.

Leigh,

It mounts over the cross-slide. You should have two tapped holes on the top of the rear bar of the saddle and one on the headstock side center section, below the cross-slide. The photo shows it from a front, tail-stock view. Only two of the three mounting holes are visible, the third sticks out towards the headstock and is similar to the one on the tail-stock end.

Cal

Any chance you might loan it out so that it could be drawn up for possible duplication? We're taking about making up some steady and follower rest bodies in another thread.

I could measure mine up if you like. It'd be just rough sketches and no CAD, but it's not all that complex in assembly (and it's assembled from plate for the most part).

seems like a swiss style follow rest would be fairly easy to make up for the EE..I know the rest on my cnc citizen is pretty simple when it comes down to it. It would be entirely different purpose than a general follow.... but still a cool accessory for one off's. I made some punches... 5/16 diam. to 0.090 in one pass.... looked perfect off the citizen.

I could measure mine up if you like. It'd be just rough sketches and no CAD, but it's not all that complex in assembly (and it's assembled from plate for the most part).
That would be great if you have the time. If you can get some sketches, I'll draw it up on AutoCAD for all to enjoy.

If enough folks are interested in building one of these, we could probably get a good deal on having all the plates cut on a CNC plasma cutter.

Willie, I'm not familiar with a Swiss style follow rest. Could you post a picture of one?

Cal

My saddle does not have the tapped holes in the upper surfaces of the rear wings to attach a FR but it does have the tapped hole on the headstock side of the center section. Does anyone have dimensions to locate the holes in the rear wings?

The saddle happens to be setup on a mill right for some other operations, it'd be easy to put the missing holes in this setup.

I'd be happy to measure mine if you'd like. I have two sets of steady/ follow rests for 10EE that I'll offer here before ebay. One set includes the above version, and the other set is the standard follow. email me if you want the measurements. The steady's are both the same style. Will have to measure to tell which model 10ee they fit, but Im pretty sure they are for the round dial.

Correction: these are for the square dial

I'd be happy to measure mine if you'd like. I have two sets of steady/ follow rests for 10EE that I'll offer here before ebay. One set includes the above version, and the other set is the standard follow. email me if you want the measurements. The steady's are both the same style. Will have to measure to tell which model 10ee they fit, but Im pretty sure they are for the round dial.

I measured mine from the flat to the C/L and they measure 6 3/4.

Cal said:
First you need to establish which model of 10ee it fits: square dial or round dial. If you measure the distance from the center of the steady rest to the vee way, it should be 6 3/4" if it fits a square dial, 6 1/4" if it fits a round dial.

I asked Ken to check the measurements on his follow rest to make sure that it was the correct height for my square dial EE. The measurements that he came up with didn't seem to make sense given some of the previous posts but he is having to measure this without having it sit on a lathe.

Since it seems that a follow rest is mounted on the saddle (and its side structure, whatever that may be called) and doesn't sit on a vee way itself AFAIK, can anyone tell us what is the appropriate dimension to be measuring and what should the values be?

Peter, you needn't worry. That style of steady rest was never made to fit a round dial. I know I should not say never when it comes to 10EEs, since anyone with enough $$ could get Monarch to build what they wanted. Lets just say its highly unlikely. And if it was for a round dial it'd be rare enough you'd have no problems selling it.

-Dave

Back