What's new
What's new

Why is this setscrew on EE10 apron?

focusrsh

Aluminum
I have a 1942 EE10. I've got the apron off for cleaning, and on the top is a set screw. I can't figure out why it is there. (See photo.) It was screwed flush to the top. I've removed it and it doesn't appear that it goes through to any other holes. Now, Monarch wouldn't have drilled and tapped this unless it had some purpose. Any ideas?
IMG_5908.jpg

It's for the metal sliding guard plate that fits between the bottom of the cross slide dovetail and the top of the saddle dovetail. Protects the cross slide screw when the cross slide is at extreme travel to the rear. There is a closed end slot in the bottom of the guard plate that screw fits in and pulls against when the slide moves.

Thanks for the help, now if I can only figure out what that means. ;)
I'm looking at the exploded view parts manual and don't see a sliding guard plate, although there is a "dust plate" and a dust cover. Interestingly, the manual also does not show the setscrew, although that is not too surprising. The manual has many omissions.
The setscrew was screwed down flush to the top of the apron. Are you saying it should stick up above the surface to stop the "bottom slide" (as it is named in the manual) from moving too far?

"Sliding guard plate" = Dust Plate. It is a flat steel plate about 2 1/2" wide and 9" long.

The plate has a recess in the bottom, turn the screw out just enough (maybe 1/16"-1/8" or so) so it sticks out and can fit in the recess (without pushing the dust plate up).

OK, thanks, I get it now! Too bad my lathe doesn't have the dust plate still with it. Durn, but I can probably make one.

The dust plate has a slot milled into the bottom. The setscrew keeps it from sliding out the end. On mine, the slot is open on the back end and they punched the metal down to create a stop at the back. (I don't know why they didn't just end the slot short instead.)

A lot of people don't realize that the setscrew is there and force the top-slide off, shearing off the setscrew.

Bottom view:
IMG_0736.jpg

Top view:
IMG_0738.jpg

The chamfered end goes towards the back of the lathe.

Cal

Last edited:
I borrowed this idea, make a plate for the rear of the cross slide that also holds wipers replacing the cover, then a simple indicator mount that slides on the exposed TA part.
Makes those close adjustments for the typical 2 step finish cut quick and easy.

Sorry for hijacking, but Donie, what is the two step procedure? After I get my 10ee up my first part to make will be a hob arbor bushing for my Barber Colman. The arbors have something like a 7.25 degree end taper, and while I have three of this style arbor, I haven’t been able to find an end bushing so I have been waiting to use the precise taper attachment to make one.
John

Hi Cal,
The photos you post show some knobs (for a better word)with springs. I presume these are the two things in this photo. (I'm also posting a scan from the parts book. Are these parts #10-14?.) I can't figure out what they are for! They pull out a small distance and snap back from the spring, but...?
IMG_5954.jpg
unknown parts.JPG

Hi Cal,
The photos you post show some knobs (for a better word)with springs. I presume these are the two things in this photo. (I'm also posting a scan from the parts book. Are these parts #10-14?.) I can't figure out what they are for! They pull out a small distance and snap back from the spring, but...?
View attachment 258980
View attachment 258981
That's parts picture E-7. The parts that you're asking about are #28 to 31 and #36 to 39. If you look on page 4, you'll find the parts list that goes with picture E-7. (Be aware that some of the pictures are mislabeled, but you can figure out which list is the correct one easily enough.) The four parts on each side make up a spring-loaded plunger assemblies that hold on the dust cover (E-7 #25). It's a heavy sheet-metal cover with a C-shaped cross section that attaches to the back of the top slide, via the plungers and tries to keep swarf out of the cross-slide screw.

Here's a couple of photos that show the dust cover and the plunger assemblies:
IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6579.jpg

The plungers are held in place by set screws, driven in from the sides of the top slide.

Cal

Back