What's new
What's new

Giant Monarch destined for scrap :(

So let's start this with a picture.
004.jpg
So the liquidation company couldn't get anyone to come in auction wise due to low number of machines, and she's a giant (I am assuming around 10k pound) lady. Long story short she has been sold for scrap value, and is now sitting outside. :(

I have no room, and no way to move such a large beast. But I hate seeing machines like this sit and rot.

The new owner has no interest in parting it himself, but has no quam with me buying whatever I want off of it for 25 cents a pound.

That being said, am I committing some un forgivable sin even asking about parts robbing. I wont lie, I like money just as much as the next guy, but my nice side 9 times out of 10 wins out and I'm selling stuff for a deep discount vs a hefty premium, normally just making my money back.

I'll head back in the AM and give the machine a once over, are there some parts here that may be useful across different models (handwheels, gear change handles ect). Take the giant lead screws out and cut them down to more useful and manageable sizes?

Anyway, cliff notes, giant lathe doesn't belong in scrap yard, are there parts you guys want / need, am I going to hell for this?

So let's start this with a picture.
View attachment 257787
So the liquidation company couldn't get anyone to come in auction wise due to low number of machines, and she's a giant (I am assuming around 10k pound) lady. Long story short she has been sold for scrap value, and is now sitting outside. :(

I have no room, and no way to move such a large beast. But I hate seeing machines like this sit and rot.

The new owner has no interest in parting it himself, but has no quam with me buying whatever I want off of it for 25 cents a pound.

That being said, am I committing some un forgivable sin even asking about parts robbing. I wont lie, I like money just as much as the next guy, but my nice side 9 times out of 10 wins out and I'm selling stuff for a deep discount vs a hefty premium, normally just making my money back.

I'll head back in the AM and give the machine a once over, are there some parts here that may be useful across different models (handwheels, gear change handles ect). Take the giant lead screws out and cut them down to more useful and manageable sizes?

Anyway, cliff notes, giant lathe doesn't belong in scrap yard, are there parts you guys want / need, am I going to hell for this?

I remember seeing this lathe when it was up for auction, IIRC the requirements or the timetable to remove the machine is what killed the deal?

I would be interested in the steady rest/ follow rest or any of the chucks or accessories that came with the machine depending on price?

Kevin

If there is a hand crank on the tail stock, I would like to buy that.

It is a shame and if it's any consolation, I'm betting it's over 10K lbs. According to Monarch themselves my 36" machine is 8K lbs.

I'll send you a note with my contact information. Thanks for doing this. Worse would be doing nothing at all.

If you do end up parting it out I would take several small things that would be fairly easy to remove. The four headstock gear change handles, the "flame hardened" data plate from the bed, and a couple other things. 608-358-0045 is my cell. Please do call if you're willing to do this. I would rather see someone save it for sure, but if this is it's fate at least it can keep a few other machines going.

Jared

Hate to see usable machinery go in the melting pot. I’d love to have that large lower door below the gear box. And if it has a cross slide ways dust cover that would be useful to my machine. I’m in Arizona so not sure how far away it is.

So my responsibilities got the better of me today, and online schoolwork has got to take what little time I have between work and daddy detail. I will be more prepared to head back Monday, I'll take whatever I can get off that I have a request for. Shipping is no problem for me, Amazon and myself have quiet the working relationship and I've been stockpiling boxes since we operate a burn ban through the winter.
Even a couple hundred pounds won't hurt me to snag because even then I'm out what 50-100$ on something I know is worth money. Super happy to see people chiming in here (not sure the interchangeability between different size models, but if you all have big honkin machines consider me envious). I may snag the lead screws for other projects (knowing I will never buy a new what 1 or 1.5 inch leadscrew due to cost). Other than that I think everything will be too big for anything I will own in the next decade or two.

Just keep the list coming and I'll do whatever research I need to figure out how to get part x y z off, and everything that comes off in the process will probably come home with me.

Not going to put a price on anything outside of what I pay by weight and shipping prices from whatever box I can get part into. Donation for labor not expected but greatly appreciated. ;)

Ohhh real quick, need a moderator of some kind to chime in on this and give his or her blessing, this isn't the for sale thread, just making sure I'm not making anyone mad.

The scrap yard already owns the lathe, it was listed for 1500, no on took it, and they worked a deal to clean the warehouse.
The scrap yard lets you walk to yard, and buy steel at 25 cents a pound, or alluminum at 1$.

*edit* I've already tried to get them to lower the price on some other stuff ive wanted down to 12-15 cents a pound on big lots that I highly doubt anyone would buy at 25 cents and they're just not having it.

Last edited:
The scrap yard already owns the lathe, it was listed for 1500, no on took it, and they worked a deal to clean the warehouse.
The scrap yard lets you walk to yard, and buy steel at 25 cents a pound, or alluminum at 1$.

*edit* I've already tried to get them to lower the price on some other stuff ive wanted down to 12-15 cents a pound on big lots that I highly doubt anyone would buy at 25 cents and they're just not having it.

That is a 300% markup. They buy scrap at 6 to 7 cents/ pound.

dee
;-D

Yup and cash only, so the money goes out buying scrap, and never comes back in to the books. That price has been steady for I think almost 8 years. All the employees are trying to get the owner to drop the resale price due to how much steel has tanked. He actually pays less than anyone in town too, stingy old man.

Cash only is so it's off the books, scrap is not his main game, he is a steel supplier. I'm not knocking the gig, I've paid that price many times, and plan on going back for more. But for some of the big cast iron parts that are destined to bring him the low sale price as actual scrap, I wish he'd bend a little and let us keep some stuff from becoming a cooking pan or a linglong pingpong copy of a monarch.

Cash only is so it's off the books, scrap is not his main game, he is a steel supplier. I'm not knocking the gig, I've paid that price many times, and plan on going back for more. But for some of the big cast iron parts that are destined to bring him the low sale price as actual scrap, I wish he'd bend a little and let us keep some stuff from becoming a cooking pan or a linglong pingpong copy of a monarch.

Just for kicks what do you think a steel mill will pay him per pound? I bet it is less than 15% over his cost.

dee
;-D

You’re a good guy for helping us out before it melts. This lathe looks the same swing size as mine, but my bed is only 54” between centers. The covers I asked for are taken off with a flat screwdriver so shouldn’t be any problem.

Back