Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would be interested in the cover on the back side of the headstock gearbox with the little flip cover on it. -It's pretty easy to remove. I want the main cover and the flip cover.

Thanks
    Mark
    307-689-6813

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what I've got on my shopping list so far.

BSG
    Steady/follow rest and chuck
    Steady and follow rest come of with large bolt facing downward to a clamp thr rides under the ways correct?
    Chuck threads off like standard bolt, lefty loosy, need to lock spindle or at least get into a very low gear, use a rubber belt to get between headstock and chuck to act as strap wrench. The other way I saw was extending a jaw out and rotating it aggressively into the carriage, this sounds like not a good idea. Would a soft/deadblow be able to break this loose without hurting anything else?

W. Higgins
    Tailstock handwheel and compound rest dial and handwheel assembly.
    Tailstock handwheel is splined on shaft with simple nut retaining it correct?
    Compound rest dial assembly is 2 cap screws and whole assembly comes off correct?

Bait shop
    "Flame hardened data plate" is this riveted on? Just drill em out right?
    Gear change levers (splined/keyed on, single nut each correct?).
    I'll give you the benefit here and see what you few other items are, I'll text today.

Txninaz
    Cross slide Way dust cover and big main front cover under gearbox. Both seem self explanitory on removal here.

Slender
    Rear cover from headstock gearbox and flip cover, is this on left end of lathe looking from operator position or back side? Again assuming quiet simple screw driver ect.

Anything else?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jeff, thanks again for you effort with this.

You're correct on the compound rest. On the tailstock, it's not the handwheel I'm after. Some bigger Monarchs had a swing-away crank to move the whole tailstock the length of the bed using the rack under the bed to drive it.

See the 3rd photo in post #2:

Another New Toy

Did you see that on the machine you're parting out? The photo wasn't clear on that end.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

screenshot_20190602-074226_chrome.jpg
    Didnt see it but I didnt pay that much attention, it was how long is this, ok no way I can take it even though I want it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Caldwell View Post
    screenshot_20190602-074226_chrome.jpg
    Didnt see it but I didnt pay that much attention, it was how long is this, ok no way I can take it even though I want it.
    Yes, you've circled the correct part. Should be a bolt-on item. If it's there and you can get it, it would be much appreciated.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Attached for clarification is the compound rest dial assembly showing one of the two sockethead capscrews necessary to remove it.

A couple more requests given they aren't already spoken for (photos aren't necessarily in the correct order):

1: The tailstock clamping handle on the rear of the unit. I see a small sockethead setscrew and perpendicular to that either a straight pin or a taper pin that needs to be driven out.

2: Oiler cap on top of the end of tailstock closest to the handwheel. I've never pulled those. They might be drive-in units. If they don't pull without destroying them, I'd be happy with the cap which should come off by snipping the retainer with dykes / side cutters.

3. Another such oiler cap to the left of the C-D-E shifter on the gearbox. That is indeed a drive-in unit. I just removed the remains of mine.

4: I'm pointing to a hole on the top-front of the tailstock. I don't know what goes it in and it's not called out in the operator's manual. If there's something there that looks factory, I'd like to have that.

I'm grateful for whatever of my requests you can fill.

Does this thing have a taper attachment on the backside of the carriage? I would like to have that if it's there and it shouldn't be difficult to remove, just bolts and such.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190602_115650.jpg   20190602_114947.jpg   20190602_115709.jpg   20190602_115738.jpg   20190602_120003.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had also requested the micrometer carriage stop in my original p.m. and I see it on the donor machine. It clamps to the ways and in the photo is slid all the way up against the headstock. Should be a couple of sockethead capscrews to remove and the whole thing unclamps and lifts off. There's something that it butts against on the carriage that I think is a small rod or plate that should unscrew easily.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alright, I'll see what I can get, trying to get my stuff together to head back in the AM.

9. Likes Jaymce liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeff,
    I have a model 60 Monarch. My cover is roughly 13 1/2" tall, not sure what model you have here. It's held on with 3 allen headed bolts I think they are 3/8".

Thanks

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So an update.

Stopped by this morning, all ready to start pulling parts. Scrap yard owner wants to ait on it for awhile because someone asked about buying the whole thing and at 11k pounds they told him 2500 and he is thinking about buying whole thing.

I also ran into someone who worked on this machine in its former life, it and the lagun I almost purchased both need a motor. I'm glad I didnt buy the lagun but I suppose it doesn't help me that this lathe is broken currently as they're definitely not going to tell prospective buyers.

That being said I did snag some more photos, and will check back every week until it's either gone or I have parts for you guys.

Here are some better pics.

20190603_074715.jpg20190603_074721.jpg20190603_074732.jpg20190603_074736.jpg20190603_074739.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the update, I see most of the stuff I asked about. You're good to follow up and this and I'll patiently await your updates. Thanks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So an update.

Stopped by this morning, all ready to start pulling parts. Scrap yard owner wants to ait on it for awhile because someone asked about buying the whole thing and at 11k pounds they told him 2500 and he is thinking about buying whole thing.

I also ran into someone who worked on this machine in its former life, it and the lagun I almost purchased both need a motor. I'm glad I didnt buy the lagun but I suppose it doesn't help me that this lathe is broken currently as they're definitely not going to tell prospective buyers.

That being said I did snag some more photos, and will check back every week until it's either gone or I have parts for you guys.

Here are some better pics.

20190603_074715.jpg20190603_074721.jpg20190603_074732.jpg20190603_074736.jpg20190603_074739.jpg
    FFS! all the pics upside down

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bahah I just noticed, they aren't on my phone, maybe I'll try a go at it from the desktop one of these days.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohhh real quick, need a moderator of some kind to chime in on this and give his or her blessing, this isn't the for sale thread, just making sure I'm not making anyone mad.
    You're fine. If this was posted in the machinery for sale section, very few people who need parts would probably notice it in time.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What's broken about it, the bed?

Tom

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So stopped by and talked to scrap yard owner, guy called back about it and they told him 1500 (which is what the original asking price was) and the prospects buyer is still mulling it over.

Ran into a guy that used to work on the machines where this came from, from what he remembers this machine needs a motor at minimum.

Just keeping everyone in the loop.

If I was a betting man I'd give them 2 more weeks tops before parts are available.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the update and your diligence!