What's new
What's new

Going to get a 12 CK Tomorrow

Ultradog MN

Cast Iron
I posted about it in the antique machinery forum.
I looked at the lathe the other day for 20 minutes or so. It was still under power so I could run it a bit.
Of course a machine like that is a lot to absorb in such a short time.
This is probably just the first of many questions I will likely bother you folks with.
On the front of the carriage - apron? between the carriage and cross slide handles is a device that shows carriage movement via a couple of dials.
The dials spun as I moved the carriage back and forth. First of all what is that device called? Second, is there a way to disconnect it or take it out of gear? It seemed to add a bit of resistance to carriage movement. Perhaps it was dry - lacking lube? Maybe the pump in the carriage is not working or does it get its oil from there?
I've looked at a bunch of photos/videos of 12 CKs and only saw a couple that had that feature. It must have been an option?
Also, the carriage has a handle on the right side to reverse the feed.
I don't see that in every photo either. Optional?
Lastly, may I join the Monarch Clique.
I've wanted a small but heavy lathe for nearly 50 years and am thinking I may have finally got one.
Thanks
Jerry

Welcome

The lever you speak of is lead screw reverse, and changes direction of the feed and is on toolroom versions of this series lathe

I doubt a counter is causing friction you would notice, the carriage assembly has to weigh several hundred pounds all in. If the pump isn't working the felt is probably full of goo, there is a bunch of stuff to do when you get it home. Cleaning and lubing is first on the list. Many here treat every machine as a restoration project. Take some pics and you will get good advice here

As a 30 year caretaker of a 1942 CK, it is a nice machine, not fast, but it can take a chip and hold a tolerance

I’m using a 1944 12 CK. Solid machine. Had it for about 2 years, I’ve mixed using mine with rebuilding it. At a minimum you’ll want to make sure the oil pump and distribution in both the apron and headstock is working.

In addition to the leadscrew reverse, I believe the other accessory is called a carriage travel dial.

I've had mine for a decade now and I love it. The cross slide screw and nut have been rebuilt (by the machine itself), the tailstock has been cleaned up and shimmed back to height, the clutch has had some love, and the motor had to be swapped. Damn rats.

It's been a great machine. Bed has some localized wear but nothing I can't work around and outside that it's damn accurate with little effort.

If I do one more thing to it, I'll reface the lead screw reverse clutch. The dogs are a little worn and it doesn't always engage positively. Not a big deal really, but I want it done.

Finally got the parts to build the phase converter yesterday. They were out of stock on a couple of items so it took a month for them to get here.
So my friend Steve the electronic guru came over to assemble it all today.
It works and I chucked a piece of scrap stock and tried the old Monarch out.
It is a pretty cool old machine and I'm looking forward to starting a couple of projects on it.
The RPC also allowed me to fire up the old Millmaster for the first time too.
Gonna have to relearn a lot of stuff but I'm like a kid in a toy store tonight.20210416_200110.jpg

Back