What's new
What's new

Great Deal on 10EE fleebay

Another 3 days until the auction ends and the price is currently just under $1600.

The main question is: what is the condition of the ways, feed rod/threading rod+nuts, spindle bearings etc etc..?
Cosmetics look great, I wish either of my 10ee's looked as nice.
Will this one reach the $5K mark?

With the sellers all encompassing comment: 'Condition is "used" ' That does not give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

If it was even within a 4 hour drive I'd go look at it. Has anyone on PM gone to see the machine?

DualValve

It came out of an auction, I saw it go for 2800 plus fees. The lack of description is not helping, it was originally sold to Bendix.

This machine appears to be at/from Systron-Donner in Concord, Ca. That facility has been around for a long time and the machine is probably in nice shape for it's age. Now, as far as the great deal on shipping, I don't know hahaha.

They did gyroscope guidance stuff and electric test equipment there.

It is still showing available for sale. Still under $1600. If it actually will ship 2600 miles for only $14.90, well that is ridiculous, Ebay really has a lousy shipping quote software.
The shipping will exceed the current price for me.

DualValve

Three hours to the close of the auction. Current price is $2250.02 plus shipping and sales tax [grrrr] The shipping still shows a quote of $14.90. LOL

Has anyone contacted the seller regarding shipping/pickup etc? I can't believe the auction has run this long without that being corrected.. or explained,
Also it's amazing to me that nobody has asked for and the seller posting some better images of the bed-ways and other items of interest.
The photo of the backside of the lathe with the areas NOT freshly painted and the dirty old paint, and runs in the new paint does show that it has received an 'Enamel and Brush Restoration'. AKA: 'condition: used'.

Typical with Ebay; the last few seconds of the auction are a cluster-F of last second bidding using 'sniper' software and other means to sneak in a winning bid. So it is likely that the auction price may go up significantly. Time will tell.

Sure would like to see this lathe show up here on PM for a closer look :-)

DualValve.

$2800 on eBay, which is what it went for at the auction. So $2800 with fees and taxes brings it up to $3550, then selling at $2800 minus paypal and ebay fees ($2436) brings a net loss of $1100. I would imagine it will be relisted or listed on Craigslist.

'$2800 on Ebay which is what it went for at the auction' ?? Was this lathe sold on a different auction?
To the buyer, he has to pay the $2800, plus state sales taxes in the state it is going to. Plus shipping. So for me, that's about $150 in taxes, and a long drive to go pick it up in SoCal. Not driving 5600miles round trip.

I've never sold anything on eBay, but I'm sure the sales expense for a $2800 item is not $1100 ??? Even a 20% sales fee would be 'only' $560 ??

Please explain your comment a bit better? The Ebay auction did not state a 'reserve' so it should be an absolute auction.

DualValve

Last edited:
Thanks.

Thanks Rob, the cryptic statement didn't connect in my head to the previous post #5. I did not start at the begining post for refresh before my post and questions, I should have for this one I guess.

DualValve

What is Ebay's policy on having a 'hidden' reserve? I thought if an item had a minimum reserve it had to state that 'reserve not met' for lower bids?

DualValve

Used machinery is always a gamble. I know of a member on here who bought a fairly new and modern 10ee with little wear at auction. Once he got it home and dug into it however, he found that the spindle taper was messed up and the saddle casting had cracks and other hidden damage from a heavy crash. Doesn't necessarily make the lathe scrap, but it certainly kills the joy of buying a newer high precision American made lathe...

I know of a member on here who bought a fairly new and modern 10ee with little wear at auction. Once he got it home and dug into it however, he found that the spindle taper was messed up and the saddle casting had cracks and other hidden damage from a heavy crash...

Ah yes, I recall that thread. It was pretty messed up... Spindle taper/runout was way off. Like, several thousandths.

I have a 1943 Round Dial listed in the Machinery For Sale Section. I'm gonna check with the USPS to see if I can get that same shipping rate. Check out my add, hitch up the wagon, it's time for a road trip.
spaeth

Back