Grinding thataway?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am rebuilding my EE, and after careful measurements have determined that the ways have to be reground,(when you can slide a .oo6 feeler under a straight edge,you need to do some grindin'!!)Anyway, what is the geometry involved grinding in the flatways and keeping the inverted V's of the way in the proper alignment to the flatways. Simply, what do I tell the grinder to do?
    Commerce Grinding,here in Dallas is very experienced in grinding ways, but I would like to have a better understanding of what is involved, so I don't look like a total idiot. I have the Connelly book, but I haven't found exactly the answer I want but
    it's probably in there. Any advice from folks who have experience doing this would be greatly appreciated. Also since the headstock sits on the ways, will it have to be raised(shimmed) to clear the gearbox and to maintain alignments after grinding and the tailstock shimmed accordingly, or is there another way. I think I'am getting a headache. Again many thanks for any advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, I figured it out. A TI calculator and
    a dose of trig did the trick. Thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After looking at my 10EE, I'm curious. The headstock does not sit
    on the ways. SO, if you grind the ways, the headstock remains in
    the same place but the carriage and tailstock drop. I can see
    building up the carriage with maybe turcite, but would you do the
    same for the tailstock? Just wondering how the ways are ground
    and everthing brough back into the same plane on a 10EE?

Marty

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That headstock DOES sit on the same ways as the carriage and the tailstock. You just may not be able to see it. Look at the veeways right in front under the chuck, those vees go right underneath the headstock to the end. Theoretically,If you grind the ways, the headstock,tailstock and carriage will all be in the same plane.Now this never really happens and because of many factors,hand scraping ,turcite,moglice, etc,is required to get that final ensemble accuracy in all of these components. Now remember, you've got to remove that headstock to grind the ways the full length.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brain fade. You are right Daryl. This machine will be a long term project. I have to fix up one machine to get rid of to generate some money to start the rehab of the Monarch. So, how much does it typically cost to regrind/scrape in a 20" EE?
    How much of the machine will they need to do the job? Figuring I will disassemble it to the bare bones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, A friend and I just had that done incidentally, and just grinding came to about $500-$800. The reason I can't give you a single price is we had some other stuff that was ground at the same time,compound, top of crosslide, etc. You need to have the ways mounted to the base when ground, so it is like one solid unit. If you had them ground then bolted to the base, you would incur stresses that would upset the accuracy of your baby. And with a EE that is just not tolerated! We are planning on using moglice for the crosslide/carriage and I will probably use turcite on some of the other surfaces. I don't know what a rebuilder/turnkey would charge. I don't think
    it's cheap,hand scraping in those boat anchors is very labor intensive. Daryl

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Makes sense to leave the bed on the base, I will do that when disassembled. Is the bottom of the base machined for this purpose?Must be one heckuva grinder! There is a large Precision Grinding company here in the Phoenix Area and a very good Machine tool rebuilder. I will visit with him soon and discuss the rebuild. I will leave him to add the turcite and scrape in. I would imagine this will be my single biggest expense in the restoration of the machine.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marty:
    I just stripped mine down...I've got a whole series of photos of it coming apart.
    Daryl's posts were super helpful.
    This is a bit more than just "pull out the bolts and shake" kind of disassembly, and some of the parts are HEAVY.
    If you want to see some of the pix, I can get them up in the photos section.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Absolutely! Post the photos. I will try and do the same as I go along and post them on my webpage. Where is this "Photos" section?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Marty:
    If you expand the "Hop To" window, there is a section labelled "Photo archive"
    I just have to figure out how to get the pix posted.
    I'll need to pull them off the shop computer too, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow.
    Cheers

Marcus

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the bottom of the base is ground and will be used as the reference. Your grinder should make sure this surface is clean and free of chips,paint when he puts it on the table. These ain't no garbage grinders here.