What's new
What's new

Handle walks out of gear

ben8138

Plastic
Hey all, I just picked up a 1966 10ee. The guy I got it from said it had electrical trouble and was not operational, however I plugged it in it heated up and seems to work as it should. Belts need to be replaced and and sounds like bearing in idler pulley is shot. My question is about the handle that engages the lead screw and drive shaft through the carriage. It walks its self out and disengages. Didn't know if someone from experience knew if it would be an internal problem or if the handle wasn't locking properly. Neither feel real good, if I physical hold handle it stays in gear but disengages when I let go. It feels like its not engaging deep enough also. Is there an adjustment that can or should be made?

Do a little searching here. I think it's not an uncommon problem. Mine does it occasionally as well. Sorry I cant direct you to a thread. Look up lever terminology in the manual. That might aid in your search.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The handle on the gearbox that moves north and south. Not the belt feed/ gear thread handle and not the THDS/feeds handle and not the handle fir the back gears

The handle on the gearbox that moves north and south. Not the belt feed/ gear thread handle and not the THDS/feeds handle and not the handle fir the back gears
Mine jumps partially out of gear sometimes. I attribute it to a weak spring on the detent plunger. Replacing that spring is on my round tuit list.

Gonna say friction clutch lever is what I am trying to describe. I don't know much but, I know this lever ain't on the carriage. She just below the spindle lever

Make sure the plunger moves freely and that the timing of the lever to the tumbler is correct so when the lever is all the way "up" (north) it locks into the flat recess cam.
If that doesn't help, probably time to change the detent spring and possibly resurface or replace the detent.
There's a hex screw in the back of the housing that holds the spring assembly and ball handle together. The ball handle will come out the top as an assembly including the detent spring- this can be done without removing the housing from the tumbler shaft.

use this button....

Capture2.JPG

then

click on "from computer" tab

click on "choose file"

browse and find picture file on your computer and select (open) it

And finally select the upload button.

Hope this helps you as it will help us help you.

There's a hex screw in the back of the housing that holds the spring assembly and ball handle together. The ball handle will come out the top as an assembly including the detent spring- this can be done without removing the housing from the tumbler shaft.
Thanks for that. My manual was missing that diagram, and I was ready to try to find the skinny end of the taper pin and drive it out to take the housing off the shaft. I found the diagram online here.

I replaced spring on handle with a spring off an old pressure switch I had in the scrap heap. Fit perfect and tightened the handle up which solved the popping out of gear. Big thanks for getting me in the right direction. Once I figure out how to get some pics up, I will

Back