head stock bearings monarch 60
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default head stock bearings monarch 60

I pulled the headstock bearings on my lathe because my finishes have gotten horrible, after getting them out, my races are scratched up and so Im I'm going to replace them . the numbers are just basic bearings is there something Im missing here or have they been changed before?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0956.jpg   img_0955.jpg   img_0950.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the other thing it doesn't look like there is any thrust bearings just 2 taper bearings and a ball bearing in the middle

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Call Monarch. Based on the Ser#., they'll tell you exactly what should be there. While you at it, ask them what it costs to buy the replacement from them. Just in case, make sure you sit down before they reply.

4. Likes Cranky1 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you try tightening up the nuts on the back to take the backlash out of it? If you put a decent sized bar in the chuck you can pull on it with an indicator on the chuck and see how much it wiggles. It's hard for me to imagine those huge bearings being the root cause of poor finish.

6. Likes jz79 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Timken originals would have been Class 0 precision - considerably better in the assembled runout department compared to Class 2 gear box bearings

All the Class 0 Timkens I have held in my hand had the Class 0 scribbled on the bearing with some sort of hand held etching process - that is because they were individually selected from a pile of not quite up to snuff brethren bearings

Here are some related scans from Timken Engineering

assembled-runout.jpgassembeld-runout-crop.jpg

Note 1.5 "tenths" on Class 0 and 15 "tenths" on Class 2 for assembled run out

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

got my quote from monarch little over 6000.00 so thats a no go. I got the numbers now so will start shopping eBay I put the lathe back together and will just use it
    but thanks for all the help one of the races had 6/53 etched into it. should these bearings have a little preload?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Class "0" timkins are going to be outrageous in cost, and nothing else will do, show bigger, better pics of races, maybe there not that bad...Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    the other thing it doesn't look like there is any thrust bearings just 2 taper bearings and a ball bearing in the middle
    Why would you need a thrust bearing with two opposing tapered bearings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I already reasembled it snugged upnthe bearings we have. the lathe Has quite a bit of wear in the ways so there is no point in spending 6 grand in bearings. they are bad enough that in a gearbox i would have changed them out If available local. There will be some class 3 or 0 show up on ebay eventually and this lathe is easly disassembled. I figured there would be a thrust bearing for heavy drilling forces nope just 2 tapered bearings like an axle

Post Thanks / Like

Say at least a cone (the piece with rollers) number and I'll tell you the thrust rating - which will be CERTAINLY high enough

ATW put it right in the catalog - 9250 Lbs on the little machines and 17K on the big one

page-40.jpg

ON EDIT

I see the 639 n the photos - that would be the front and its thrust rating is 5950 Lbs

Here is a page scan from 1983

639-cone.jpg
    Last edited by johnoder; 06-05-2020 at 01:11 PM.

13. Likes eKretz liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My CY16 had a class 3 originally installed. Per Johnoder's info, the runout is .0003". I bought a new Timken replacement for $800.

I was surprised to see my bearing was a Class # but it was scribed with date and 3.

bearing-1.jpg

bearing-2.jpg

Still a mystery as to why my CY had a Class 3 but it was 1943.

Monarch CY 16 Winter Project

This is the link about my bearing story of replacing...

Post Thanks / Like

Must of been one of those "git-er-done" situations - the boss of the assy floor saying - effectively - "put the very best we have in there and shoot it out the door - like right now"