What's new
What's new

head stock bearings monarch 60

idacal

Hot Rolled
I pulled the headstock bearings on my lathe because my finishes have gotten horrible, after getting them out, my races are scratched up and so Im I'm going to replace them . the numbers are just basic bearings is there something Im missing here or have they been changed before?

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0955.jpg
    IMG_0955.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0950.jpg
    IMG_0950.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 85
Call Monarch. Based on the Ser#., they'll tell you exactly what should be there. While you at it, ask them what it costs to buy the replacement from them. Just in case, make sure you sit down before they reply. :)

Did you try tightening up the nuts on the back to take the backlash out of it? If you put a decent sized bar in the chuck you can pull on it with an indicator on the chuck and see how much it wiggles. It's hard for me to imagine those huge bearings being the root cause of poor finish.

Timken originals would have been Class 0 precision - considerably better in the assembled runout department compared to Class 2 gear box bearings

All the Class 0 Timkens I have held in my hand had the Class 0 scribbled on the bearing with some sort of hand held etching process - that is because they were individually selected from a pile of not quite up to snuff brethren bearings

Here are some related scans from Timken Engineering

Assembled Runout.jpgAssembeld Runout Crop.jpg

Note 1.5 "tenths" on Class 0 and 15 "tenths" on Class 2 for assembled run out

got my quote from monarch little over 6000.00 so thats a no go. I got the numbers now so will start shopping eBay I put the lathe back together and will just use it
but thanks for all the help one of the races had 6/53 etched into it. should these bearings have a little preload?

Class "0" timkins are going to be outrageous in cost, and nothing else will do, show bigger, better pics of races, maybe there not that bad...Phil

I already reasembled it snugged upnthe bearings we have. the lathe Has quite a bit of wear in the ways so there is no point in spending 6 grand in bearings. they are bad enough that in a gearbox i would have changed them out If available local. There will be some class 3 or 0 show up on ebay eventually and this lathe is easly disassembled. I figured there would be a thrust bearing for heavy drilling forces nope just 2 tapered bearings like an axle

Say at least a cone (the piece with rollers) number and I'll tell you the thrust rating - which will be CERTAINLY high enough

ATW put it right in the catalog - 9250 Lbs on the little machines and 17K on the big one

Page 40.jpg

ON EDIT

I see the 639 n the photos - that would be the front and its thrust rating is 5950 Lbs

Here is a page scan from 1983

639 Cone.jpg

Last edited:
My CY16 had a class 3 originally installed. Per Johnoder's info, the runout is .0003". I bought a new Timken replacement for $800.

I was surprised to see my bearing was a Class # but it was scribed with date and 3.

Bearing 1.jpg

Bearing 2.jpg

Still a mystery as to why my CY had a Class 3 but it was 1943.

Monarch CY 16 Winter Project

This is the link about my bearing story of replacing...

Must of been one of those "git-er-done" situations - the boss of the assy floor saying - effectively - "put the very best we have in there and shoot it out the door - like right now"

Back