What's new
What's new

Headstock Tooltray

everettengr

Aluminum
i cnc'ed a platform for a HS tool tray. i'm interested in seeing other tray designs if anyone is willing to share photos. i searched but didn't find much...

MVIMG_20200705_174919 copy.jpg

Everyone has made good observations; yes, it's sweet looking and yes, it needs to be relieved 1/2" to leave a lip. Easy enough to do and it wouldn't surprise me that you've already done it.

Me? I'm went in a different direction. My thinking was Monarch had had plenty of lathe making experience by the point in time the 10EE was created. Leaving the head stock rounded off - with what we now refer to as that art deco look - was maybe for a reason . . . perhaps to discourage putting stuff there in the first place!

So I went with the flow and avoided creating what ends up like a mess on other lathes (because it's a natural place to put tools and stuff), and thus, I've opted to put nothing whatsoever on my 10EE's headstock. Doesn't preclude me admiring your nice work and appreciating the effort. Good job!

Everyone has made good observations; yes, it's sweet looking and yes, it needs to be relieved 1/2" to leave a lip. Easy enough to do and it wouldn't surprise me that you've already done it.

Me? I'm went in a different direction. My thinking was Monarch had had plenty of lathe making experience by the point in time the 10EE was created. Leaving the head stock rounded off - with what we now refer to as that art deco look - was maybe for a reason . . . perhaps to discourage putting stuff there in the first place!

So I went with the flow and avoided creating what ends up like a mess on other lathes (because it's a natural place to put tools and stuff), and thus, I've opted to put nothing whatsoever on my 10EE's headstock. Doesn't preclude me admiring your nice work and appreciating the effort. Good job!
That can fall into the spinning chuck.

Where is the lip around the edge? Stuff will be falling off that one!

that's not the tool tray, it's a platform that fits the curvature of the HS and is level on top allowing me to bolt on a tool tray.
yes the tool tray i make will have a lip and recesses for a few tool holders.

Heres a dental tooltray I modified. Works great
IMG_0024.jpg

The metal tray is 11" x 8" , and I added those aluminum sideboards and they are 1.500 wide. I don't remember if that is the tray that came with it or something I made from scrap. I just looked at it, and I think I reutilized it from from something else. That arm is spring loaded and will hold a bit of weight, but needs to be approximately loaded or it will sink or rise up, but it is easily adjusted. I used to work for a dental equipment mfg. and they were throwing it out. I don't know how easily or cheaply these can be acquired.

I've noticed many images on this site with the photobucket banner and wondered . . . why do 'our' own promote this form of blackmail? Especially considering it interferes with seeing what you're expressly trying to share! Yet folks continue doing it, and I presume the bucket people do it to try and solicit your business (although for me, it creates a tremendous disincentive to use the product). Sigh.

I knew this was an issue, but I thought you could see enough of the image thru the banner to get the idea. Yep, I am done with bucket. The pic was from an old post here. Email me and I can send it to you, if I can find it.

Ahhh, yes I recognize your argument as valid and accept it because you can definitely see well enough what you're trying to show us. Hadn't considered it would be an old image and for this particular purpose it was good enough versus digging through images to find a new one. Speaking of images, are they hosted locally now?

Ahhh, yes I recognize your argument as valid and accept it because you can definitely see well enough what you're trying to show us. Hadn't considered it would be an old image and for this particular purpose it was good enough versus digging through images to find a new one. Speaking of images, are they hosted locally now?

Photobucket used to be the bomb - free photo listing, easy to upload and reference. At some point they decided to monetize things in the worst possible way and antagonized their userbase. I don't know where's they're going to be in a year, but I don't think "in business" is one of the answers.

They *can* be but they seem to get randomly resized to unreadable size, etc. That's why I keep them on my own server.

A few years back, PM's photo hosting was awful. You had to manually resize images to stay under the limit of about 100kb for JPGs. I used to put all my shared images on Photobucket, but haven't used it in years.

Cal

Back