Help! Cross Slide Gib EE-2054 Needed
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default Help! Cross Slide Gib EE-2054 Needed

    Hello everyone,

    My 10EE project is nearing its end and today as I was installing the cross slide i noticed the small end of the gib was broke. I don't know how much was broke off, but I can't adjust the gib properly. I looked on ebay and no luck. I was wondering if anyone may have a spare they want to part with. I have no idea what Monarch will charge for one of these..

    Thanks in advance and my finger are crossed.

    R/S
    Will
    75241181_10220544912236580_8466799163818901504_n.jpg

  2. Likes 220swift liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    81

    Default

    Yeah, that is going to be a problem. These are all custom fit after the ways are scraped. It would be extremely lucky if you actually found one that fit. I'd start searching for someone to make one for you....or do it yourself.







    Quote Originally Posted by Will McRay View Post
    Hello everyone,

    My 10EE project is nearing its end and today as I was installing the cross slide i noticed the small end of the gib was broke. I don't know how much was broke off, but I can't adjust the gib properly. I looked on ebay and no luck. I was wondering if anyone may have a spare they want to part with. I have no idea what Monarch will charge for one of these..

    Thanks in advance and my finger are crossed.

    R/S
    Will
    75241181_10220544912236580_8466799163818901504_n.jpg

  4. Likes daryl bane liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    3,631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    828
    Likes (Received)
    484

    Default

    Member focusrsh has a cross-slide give that had a chunk added to the end (unknown why). You might be able to do something similar:
    ee17454-img_5955.jpg


    Cal

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    Member focusrsh has a cross-slide give that had a chunk added to the end (unknown why). You might be able to do something similar:
    ee17454-img_5955.jpg


    Cal

    One machine here has a broken-off push-pull notched end like that.

    Some PO didn't even try to repair or replace the gib.

    He left that end as push-only. Then added another screw, also push only, at the other end to push it the opposite direction.

    It is now a minor nuisance to work both screws to adjust the gib, but "minor" being no BIG deal as it does work OK and is not often needed, I just left it that way.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    This is a great idea. Monarch wants $500 for a new gib then it has to be cut to length and scraped in. I’m gonna look into this.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    8513

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will McRay View Post
    This is a great idea. Monarch wants $500 for a new gib then it has to be cut to length and scraped in. I’m gonna look into this.
    Well to be fair, I did not DO that patch, I simply "inherited" it.

    I'm lazy enough to be just as happy with slacking the pressure, backing-out with a Bronze drift and a light tap off a 250 gram German-pattern toolmaker's layout hammer, then sneaking-up on the fit from the ONE end.

    Even if it take four tries to get it right?

    I just don't that often have the NEED to alter the gib's setting.

    "Clamping" for vibration-critical work I have always tended to do with.. believe it or not? A "clamp".

    The families, clans, tribes, and nation of "clamps" do have immense variety, even store-bought, let alone shop-fab.

    Not that hard to find one that gets the job done, even if too ugly to want to be seen on You Tube or drink out of the same cawfee cup with.


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Would anyone know the overall length of the gib?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    125
    Likes (Received)
    81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Will McRay View Post
    Would anyone know the overall length of the gib?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    not trying to be shitty here, but you need to come to terms with concept that you may be in over your head here when asking that question. Its not so much the overall length of the gib but the fitment of the gib inbetween the the slide and the ways. At the end of the day the length may be the "same" but the fitment will dictate how much longer the fat end extends verses the thin end. The gib needs to be fitted to the ways and the opposing ends trimmed to compliment that fitment. Does that explanation make sense?

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SLC, UT
    Posts
    691
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    888
    Likes (Received)
    131

    Default

    Pretty sure it depends on which cross slide you have, and like rakort mentioned, the fitting of your particular gib/cross slide/saddle way.
    There are at least three different length cross slides/lengths from the factory.
    Have a long one apart right now, the cross slide measures 14-9/16" and the gib is 14-3/16".

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rakort View Post
    not trying to be shitty here, but you need to come to terms with concept that you may be in over your head here when asking that question. Its not so much the overall length of the gib but the fitment of the gib inbetween the the slide and the ways. At the end of the day the length may be the "same" but the fitment will dictate how much longer the fat end extends verses the thin end. The gib needs to be fitted to the ways and the opposing ends trimmed to compliment that fitment. Does that explanation make sense?
    Sure does, hence the reason to ask the question of an overall length. Need to know a starting point to procure material before machining. If I sound like an idiot so be it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Country
    ALAND ISLANDS
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    Pretty sure it depends on which cross slide you have, and like rakort mentioned, the fitting of your particular gib/cross slide/saddle way.
    There are at least three different length cross slides/lengths from the factory.
    Have a long one apart right now, the cross slide measures 14-9/16" and the gib is 14-3/16".
    Thank you for that information. I really appreciate it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •