What's new
What's new

Help Evaluating This 10EE

Veebee

Plastic
Hi guys, I found this 30" 10EE that I'm on the fence about buying. It's pretty far away from me, so I would really have to shift some stuff around to make it happen.

What I know: ELSR dogs not installed on the shaft, but the owner has them. VFD drive (no more details on that just yet). Tooling includes taper attachment, steady rest, collet attachment. Looks like the bezel on the tachometer isn't stock, but that's small beans.

Price is around $10k, so way beyond impulse buy cash, but doable.

lY8H9hZ.jpg

VntiKjV.jpg

I've seen video of it running, and all the feeds appear to work. There's a wood block between the ways near the tailstock, which kind of threw me for a loop as I haven't seen that before.

pLU7E6n.png

What's the hive-mind have to say?

It appears to just be wedged in there. I'm pretty aligned with you on the price, and I think it's the 30" bed that's held my interest. I missed out on just such a turn-key machine a couple months ago and it still stings :/

It has a dovetail on the back side of the cross slide .
The factory light is missing and someone wire nutted the wires together.
What motor and VFD does it have ?

Hal

Haven't gotten any info on the VFD or motor yet. I hadn't even noticed the dovetail on there, good catch.

Alright, some info on the VFD:

5b36202128b50916ba2a0db7af0cb483.jpg

Motor is 5hp GE dc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you seen pictures of the ways, how did they look ?
Any idea how much slack there is in the hand wheels?
Is the apron still oiling ok ? You can see the zig zag oil stain line on the way near the tail stock.
Any idea why the else rod dogs removed from Elsa rod ?

Hal

If you can GET the OEM GE KinaMatic 5 HP DC motor and restore it with a modern DC Drive, that would surely ease the pain of a high price for a downgraded drive system.

The conversion was done prior to the current owner's stewardship, so I'm betting he doesn't still have the original motor. I will ask him, though.

Thanks for the VFD documentation. I see they're discontinued... Maybe I can talk him down some on account of a few of these points.

Also found out it's from 1967.

I hear what you're saying, and if it were only a couple hundred miles away it'd probably be on a trailer right now. Problem is it's about 1500 miles away, and work's so busy now that hauling it myself is out of the question I think. Wouldn't even know where to begin with getting it shipped. I'd hate to lay out the cash, only to have a toppled wreck show up at the shop.

Here's the video of the feeds running. I'm quite conflicted. Been feeling the call of the Monarch something fierce lately!

Yikes, 1500 miles away and $10k, think I'd pass on that since it's impossible to inspect well. Seems the only thing enticing about that is the (from what I understand) 30" bed.Little tooling, tailtock handwheel replaced, drive replaced,other parts removed, makes one wonder what other condition/accuracy issues may be present. I have a Hardinge, and it's extremely rare that I pine for a 30" bed, and likely much work requiring a 30" bed needs more than a "toolroom" lathe.

Some much appreciated perspective :D I think it really is the bed that’s keeping me around. I always wanted a Monarch, but gotta admit I’d rather have one unaltered. Vacuum tubes are a pain in the backside sometimes, but there’s something dare I say romantic about ‘em all the same.

Some much appreciated perspective :D I think it really is the bed that’s keeping me around. I always wanted a Monarch, but gotta admit I’d rather have one unaltered. Vacuum tubes are a pain in the backside sometimes, but there’s something dare I say romantic about ‘em all the same.

I grew up with vacuum thermionic devices so there's some attachment there still, but one 10EE WiaD drive is enough for my attachment.

Where is this lathe, anyway? I'd be interested if the price was not up at 10K (maybe with an original drive or other desirable features, but a mangled drive and 10K together....)

I grew up with vacuum thermionic devices so there's some attachment there still, but one 10EE WiaD drive is enough for my attachment.

Where is this lathe, anyway? I'd be interested if the price was not up at 10K (maybe with an original drive or other desirable features, but a mangled drive and 10K together....)

It’s in East Texas. I have decided to pass for all the reasons discussed here. Maybe somebody closer will have some luck haggling!

Monarch 1EE lathe. 1x3 - tools - by owner - sale

Hopefully it isn’t against the rules to post the link (if it is, I’ll remove it in a heartbeat).

In other news, if you have a 10ee in working order near the Los Angeles area (or a reasonable haul from here) that you’re looking to turn into cash, I’m your huckleberry.

Thanks for all the help over the weekend!

-Victor

Back