What's new
What's new

Help Finding Apron Parts for Monarch Model 61

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I am in the process of reworking a nominal 14" Monarch Model 61 and have found some parts in the apron that I might could make, but I would prefer to buy good used parts. In the Model 61 parts book

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/18297.pdf

pages 28-29 these parts called the worm (N35), the driver (N31), the driver plate (N32), the half nut (N17), and the chasing dial worm gear (N113).

I have attached some pictures for clarity.

IMG_20200117_090428.jpg IMG_20200117_090517.jpg

IMG_20200117_091048.jpg IMG_20200117_091140.jpg

If you can help, please email me at [email protected]

I am in the process of reworking a nominal 14" Monarch Model 61 and have found some parts in the apron that I might could make, but I would prefer to buy good used parts. In the Model 61 parts book

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/18297.pdf

pages 28-29 these parts called the worm (N35), the driver (N31), the driver plate (N32), the half nut (N17), and the chasing dial worm gear (N113).

I have attached some pictures for clarity.

View attachment 275731 View attachment 275732

View attachment 275733 View attachment 275734

If you can help, please email me at [email protected]

Monarch will have all that stuff.

Moonlight
I know that Monarch can make the parts, but I suspect that I can not afford them. I think Keith Rucker bought a bronze/brass worm gear from them over a year ago and spent $500 for it. The driver and half nuts are much more complex, so I suspect they will be too pricey for me. I will get prices from Monarch, but I am pretty sure that if I can't find used ones, I will have to make the parts I need.

I think someone was parting out a Model 61, have you tried a forum search for '61 parts' or '61 apron parts' ?
The search might be fruitless, but maybe you'll get lucky?
When you talk to Monach about the parts, ask them if any other model lathes used the same parts, in order to widen your search?

Good luck..

DualValve

I just received the worm and worm wheel from monarch for my 16CY and yes, my wallet is significantly lighter. My half nuts look about the same as the OPs. Do they also need to be replaced? sure they don't look like 4TPI ACME but as long as the backlash is constant does it matter?

Yes, I will be repairing my half nuts. I will be using a process similar to that seen in this video series:

YouTube

My lead screw is 1.25x4 and I will need to build fixtures to bore out the old threads in the half nuts. As you say, the half nuts will continue to work with a lot of backlash. My old South Bend 16" lathe has worn out half nuts also. The biggest observable problems are the tremendous backlash and the fact that the index marks on the threading dial no longer line up with where the nuts actually engage the lead screw. I have learned to account for those problems.

If your lathe is smaller, you can buy bronze acme nuts from McMaster or Roton or Green Bay Mfg to use to insert into the half nuts after they have been bored out. Unfortunately, their longest nut is 2.5 inches long, and I need more like 3.5-3.75 inches of length.

When I have rebuilt mine, I could probably do yours if they would fit in the same fixtures.

Back