What's new
What's new

Help ID these accessories?

teemfan93

Cast Iron
Picked up a monarch lot for pretty much just the steady rest, so I'll likely be selling most of these pictured to recoup some of the cost in the lot...

Wondering if I can get some help ID'ing some items? I think I know what the majority are, but figure I'd ask the experts.

-The faceplate with the center in it, is that standard? I'm just a hobbiest but haven't seen that before.
-What would the smaller ones with slots be used for?
-Thinking the next two are for threaded lathe chucks? Quite a long thread on them though.
-Are both the follower rests for a 10ee? I know monarch made a couple different versions.
-Last one I'm guessing is a carriage stop

IMG_2416.jpgIMG_2417.jpgIMG_2418.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

1. No, someones mod
2. Drive plates for lathe dogs - used with work between centers
3. Basicallly, enable the collet drawbar close up a large dia adaptor related to the collets. Has a name which I need to look for:D STEP CHUCKS or similar
4. Doubtful

1. No, someones mod
And a highly useful mod, I would add. Typically if you mount a faceplate (with central hole) or dog driver plate on the spindle nose, and then stick a typical dead center in the lathe spindle, the tip of the dead center is waaaaay too far from the faceplate to be convenient. As in, the legs of a typical dog won't engage with the slots in the faceplate or dog driver plate. Perhaps this is a consequence of D1-style spindle noses and the problem was less serious 50 years ago when faceplates probably mounted further out from the spindle gage line.

Twice now, I have cut back and reground almost an inch of a "store bought" MT4 dead center for more convenient use in turning between centers. I like that faceplate mod very much.

Picked up a monarch lot for pretty much just the steady rest, so I'll likely be selling most of these pictured to recoup some of the cost in the lot...

Wondering if I can get some help ID'ing some items? I think I know what the majority are, but figure I'd ask the experts.

-The faceplate with the center in it, is that standard? I'm just a hobbiest but haven't seen that before.
-What would the smaller ones with slots be used for?
-Thinking the next two are for threaded lathe chucks? Quite a long thread on them though.
-Are both the follower rests for a 10ee? I know monarch made a couple different versions.
-Last one I'm guessing is a carriage stop

View attachment 264422View attachment 264423View attachment 264424View attachment 264425
Some of this tooling appears to be for a 10EE, which has a D1-3 spindle. You should check the pin diameter and pin radius to verify that they are D1-3, if not, they may be for a larger Monarch (or other D1- spindle) lathe. Here's a link that lists the dimensions of various D1- spindle noses.

As John has already noted, the two smaller plates are dog drive plates. Look on the back and see if there is a 5-digit number, possbily prefixed with "EE". If so, they were probably supplied by Monarch as part of the tooling for the lathe with that serial number.

The two odd chucks with the threaded studs may be pieces of tooling for specific parts. Look at the D1- mounting on the backs of the chucks and see if they are also dog drive plates. The back plates may also be back plates from a plain backed chuck. If so, you could sell them on eBay or in the tooling for sale forum here. Look for manufacture's names and numbers on the back plates.

The follower rest on the right looks like the type used on 10EEs. You appear to have a second follower finger for that rest. Look for a 5-digit number stamped or engraved into the rest. Here's a photo of a round-dial follower rest for comparison:
IMG_2596.jpg
A square-dial follower rest will have a 1/2" higher center height and I think the spacing of the mounting tabs is different as well.

The other follower rest does not appear to Monarch. You could post a question over at the heavy iron forum and see if anyone there recognizes it.

You do have some sort of carriage stop. I don't have one of those for my 10EE and can't say if it might be for a 10EE, but it is similar to a type of carriage stop shown in Monarch literature. You would need to post the dimensions of the V and the height of the clamp for us to know if it would fit a Monarch lathe.

I don't recognize the wrench or the L-shaped casting with the diagonal slot as being Monarch.

Cal

Back