What's new
What's new

Help Monarch "A" Lot No 472

WEREWOLF

Plastic
New machine to me, Talked to Monarch directly, they say it is pre 1928. I am looking for all information for this machine,or who I should be talking to. Sone type of owner/maintance manual would be great, but any information is greatly appreciated.

THANKS Werewolf

[email protected]

above is the yahoo monarch group ....dont reckon they ever had a manual for these early ones...think the great majority of these A's were made 1916 to 1918 , but some were apparantly made into mid 20'3 ...think they first appeared in early teens....i have one & MAY be able to answer a question ...
best wishes
docn8as

Monarch's model A was the first lathe they built in 1909 in either 14" or 16" swing. They produced this lathe till about 1930 when it was replaced with the AA. They built it with either a cone headstock or a spur geared headstock. There is a general parts book. Monarch made several thousands of these lathes during WW1, and odds are it is from this period.

Question, does your machine have a quick change gear box? The earliest of these lathes did not have this, and the Quick change box was an option for many years.

If you have any specific quesitions, please ask and I will try to see if I can find an answer.

John

jlegge ...Hey do you know if on these early "A" models lathes, did they offer a taper attachment? I had picked up and "A" model about 8 months ago and am in the process of rebuilding for my hobby projects ...would be NICE if they did, so I know I'm not hunting for a phantom part. THX!! ...Mark

11echo

Yes a crude taper attachment was offered on these lathes, but do not know how comman they were. Check to see if the back of your carrage has been drilled for one. If it was not drilled or machined for one it means you will have to get it machined.

With any luck you might find a junked Model A that you can buy for parts. Monarch produced a few thousand of these lathes so they are some still around.

John

have seen parts list for taper attach for A on monarch yahoo list ...APPEARS to be the clamp on (front /rear style of the later atlas craftsmn taper attach ( if memory serves ) ..poster stated that a decent sized ,(readable copy cud be obtained....
best wishes
docn8as

sorry ....memory didnt serve very well.....found the taper attach drawing & J C was correct ....will require holes for attaching a typical taper attach to the carriage ....

best wishes
docn8as

PS my monARCH a IS LOT 385 ...#4 ...GUESSING 1918

Hi Guys ...Well I'm glad to hear there really is a taper attachment for this machine, and yes my lathe has the 4 threaded holes on the carriage for it. So I'll keep an eye out. THX Again for your help!!! ...Mark

PS ...Lot 417 machine #10 ...I have no idea what year!??

The vast majority of A and B lathes were built between 1915 and 1919. Monarch shipped thousands of these lathes for war effort (WW1 that is). Many went to shops in England and France. Monarch had a large export business at the time.

Monarch lathe use to have the lot records for these lathes, from which they could give year of manufacture.

John

ive got a monarch A lathe that's says lot64 #8. any idea wut year this is?

no, because Monarch rolled over the lot numbers. A picture might be helpful. Is it a 14" swing or 16" swing Model A? Monarch built them in both sizes. Does it have a QC gearbox? Monarch built the Model A from 1909 to 1930 with peak production in 1917-18, and very little after 1925 or so.

John

View attachment 106587 its a 14" swing, here is a pic & QC box on it but I did get all the change gears with it along with steady rest, follower rest, mill attachment, & a lot of tooling

This could be an early lathe built before 1912. Is there any signs that a quick change gearbox could be mounted? Monarch offered this starting in 1912, and was pretty standard option there after. with the low lot number it could have been built in 1910-1911 time frame.

I also remember that you might need a telescoping cross feed screw if you add a taper attachment.

thanks for posting the picture.

John

Mine is date stamped on the other rail. I think. Lol
E lot no 157 machine 2 on the front rail and 14.8 on the rear one.

Back