Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help needed 10ee

I recently purchased a Monarch 10EE long bed and have been going through the steps to make sure she is in running order. It is a 1965 model sn#46154, Fuji VFD, 7.5hp, taper attachment, ELSR, and it has the 3 sight windows on the headstock.

The far left sightglass was hard to see so I took it off and cleaned it up. While I did that I noticed it is low on fluid and the fluid is In need of replacement. It’s old and grey looking with super fine grime in it (the reason why I could not see in the window clearly).

A) How do I properly flush this out? B) How much fluid does it take? This is for the gearbox. Thank you I’m advance for your help
    Last edited by rcn11thacr; 04-06-2020 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Change

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're talking about the gearbox (with the sight next to the thread/feed chart) then it's a Vactra Heavy-Medium or equivalent. Fill and drains are under the left headstock cover.

But if there's a grit in there I'd look around carefully, maybe look at the grit and see if you can figure out a source. To me it sounds like a ball bearing might be eating itself and spreading particles throughout a pretty sensitive area - that oil should be pretty dang clean.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The manual for a 1965 10ee Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 10EE Manual | VintageMachinery.org

Lube specs are on pages 25 & 26 of the PDF

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John S01 View Post
    The manual for a 1965 10ee Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 10EE Manual | VintageMachinery.org

Lube specs are on pages 25 & 26 of the PDF
    It is better to order the manual from Monarch. It will then include all of the drawings that are correct for your lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any pictures ?
    Does your 7.5 motor use a 2 speed gear box with VFD ?

Hal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I’d be willing to share pictures but I don’t see any paper clip, etc.. I’ve yet to figure out how to? Want to share a quick lesson?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    I’d be willing to share pictures but I don’t see any paper clip, etc.. I’ve yet to figure out how to? Want to share a quick lesson?
    PM has a forum called images and links, with several articles about how to do it: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images-and-links/

Here is a recent article that is pretty good, although it doesn't work for me, I have never figured out how to get full size images since the forum software started compressing images. I have a Mac, so maybe with a PC it works: Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For starters, it is best to use the ‘Go Advanced “ post if you want images in your post.

To add images, click the image icon, which is the third in from right on the toolbar of the post entry screen.
    Then select “from computer” if the images are from your computer. Then select the image, from whatever folder you have the pictures in on your computer. Then click upload image.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Dakota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it because I’m always using my phone, but I have zero options going through advanced. It looks just like the regular reply option.