What's new
What's new

Help needed 10ee

rcn11thacr

Aluminum
I recently purchased a Monarch 10EE long bed and have been going through the steps to make sure she is in running order. It is a 1965 model sn#46154, Fuji VFD, 7.5hp, taper attachment, ELSR, and it has the 3 sight windows on the headstock.

The far left sightglass was hard to see so I took it off and cleaned it up. While I did that I noticed it is low on fluid and the fluid is In need of replacement. It’s old and grey looking with super fine grime in it (the reason why I could not see in the window clearly).

A) How do I properly flush this out? B) How much fluid does it take? This is for the gearbox. Thank you I’m advance for your help

Last edited:
If you're talking about the gearbox (with the sight next to the thread/feed chart) then it's a Vactra Heavy-Medium or equivalent. Fill and drains are under the left headstock cover.

But if there's a grit in there I'd look around carefully, maybe look at the grit and see if you can figure out a source. To me it sounds like a ball bearing might be eating itself and spreading particles throughout a pretty sensitive area - that oil should be pretty dang clean.

I’d be willing to share pictures but I don’t see any paper clip, etc.. I’ve yet to figure out how to? Want to share a quick lesson?

I’d be willing to share pictures but I don’t see any paper clip, etc.. I’ve yet to figure out how to? Want to share a quick lesson?

PM has a forum called images and links, with several articles about how to do it: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/images-and-links/

Here is a recent article that is pretty good, although it doesn't work for me, I have never figured out how to get full size images since the forum software started compressing images. I have a Mac, so maybe with a PC it works: Posting Pictures on the South Bend Forum

For starters, it is best to use the ‘Go Advanced “ post if you want images in your post.

To add images, click the image icon, which is the third in from right on the toolbar of the post entry screen.
Then select “from computer” if the images are from your computer. Then select the image, from whatever folder you have the pictures in on your computer. Then click upload image.

Maybe it because I’m always using my phone, but I have zero options going through advanced. It looks just like the regular reply option.

Back