What's new
What's new

Intersting Lathe

Oh look! Another machine I wish I had! :)

I've never seen a cromwell lathe......I'd be interested in learning more about it. Google here I come.....

"I doubt either firm were the first to use a variable-DC drive, W-L or otherwise."

The W-L drive system, at least for hoists and elevators, dates back to the turn of the past century, pre-1900.

Which is actually rather interesting as the concepts of "automatic control", now called "control systems theory", would not be developed for another half-century.

Never the less, the W-L variable speed drive did indeed work, and work well, and many are still in operation.

Many of us will remember the so-called "elevator operators" (also called "key operators", as they were in possession of the "control key") which used a "control key" to manually effectuate the equivalent of a "four quadrant" drive system, with the human within the control loop.

In this way, "motoring forward" (i.e., UP), "braking forward" (i.e., slowing to a pleasant stop, while traveling UP), "motoring reverse" (i.e., DOWN) and "braking down" (i.e., slowing to a pleasant stop, while traveling DOWN), could be implemented by incorporating the human into the control loop.

Post-WW-II, we would learn how to replace the human operator with a primitive PLCC, and to obtain the same or superior performance.

Today's VFDs can, of course, do the same job, without the human operator.

Funny, "software glitches" were unheard of in the pre-War, human-assisted systems, whereas such glitches are well-known in today's human-less systems.

Anyone know where this lathe ended up? Bidding is now closed, and if I'm reading it right, it went for $300 or less.

I'd never heard of a Cromwell, either, but it sure looks like a rugged, if small, lathe.

Neil

The lathe was sold for $1609.00 + applicable taxes ( could be up to 13%)
Nice small lathe, but a bit of an odd duck around here. Parts and accessories will definitely be harder to find than for a 10EE

Pete

So roughly $1800 Cdn for a lathe with (probably) no factory support, with possibly a major motor problem. Somebody, actually two somebodys, knew what they were after.

Anybody here get it or bid on it?

Neil

So roughly $1800 Cdn for a lathe with (probably) no factory support, with possibly a major motor problem. Somebody, actually two somebodys, knew what they were after.

You don't buy a lathe like that if you want factory support. In fact, most people don't rely on factory support for their 10EEs.

People buy a lot of machines that do not have factory support. Very few factories even exist that made most of the machines anymore...

If you base your purchases on factory support, you will limit your target machine to a very limited amount of choices.

Cheers,
Alan

Anybody notice it does not have a carriage feed hand wheel? The carriage must be moved by the handle by the feed gear box and the other one at the end of the bed. Probably why the lead screw is so big, it is used every time the carriage moves.

That the lathe was sought after for a specific duty.

You mean like making round things ??? It's a nice lathe, there are few lathe in that size that are of what appears to be the quality of this one. This one does have some odd features, but looks like a pretty good lathe.

Anybody notice it does not have a carriage feed hand wheel? The carriage must be moved by the handle by the feed gear box and the other one at the end of the bed. Probably why the lead screw is so big, it is used every time the carriage moves.

I noticed the handle but didn't think too much about it...but now that you bring it up, it looks like it would indeed turn the lead screw. Hmmm...that's an interesting design...not sure how I like that...would like to understand the threading better...looks like that handle under the cross feed handle might engage the half nuts for threading as it looks like there is a thread dial

What we think of as halfnuts are permanently connected to the leadscrew. No need to engage and disengage them if carriage travel is by the handles at each end of the leadscrew. The handle under the crossfeed handle is connected to the power crossfeed clutch. I'm not sure how threading is initiated, maybe the lever just to the left of the left end of the leadscrew?

If I'm reading Tony's article correctly, it also has plain tapered bronze headstock bearings. Ball bearings at the spindle to isolate motor vibration for the drive pulley (even though it's driven by a flat belt!) but plain tapered bronze bearings for the headstock. That must be one smooth lathe when set up correctly.

Tony has one of these listed for sale on his site. Lots of accessories, and retrofitted with a VFD. 1500 pounds sterling or only $2475 (!) at today's exchange rate. It'd look sweet sitting next to a Rivett 1020F, wouldn't it, Alan? ;)

Neil

No carriage feed hand wheel, but with those two handles, one at either end, to move the carriage, you wouldn't get those hot chips on your hand like sometimes happens with the traditionally located hand wheel....

Back