What's new
What's new

high RPM question

bll230

Hot Rolled
OK, dumb question here. Since I have touted my successful Parker 514C 4000 RPM 10EE, can someone give me an application for 3000-4000 RPM turning? So far I have not used the field weakening for any part I have made, but since I have spent the last 15 years using my South Bends I am probably biased toward lower RPMs. Bison rates their cast iron 6" chucks at 3500 and the steel ones over 4000, but I start getting scared way before that.

No idea about OP ? , but routinely run 4k rpm on cnc lathes so...??

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like politics so staying out of that.
but actual running small parts like screw machine parts it is not uncommon. high RPM for aluminum, titanium, steel,
screw machines use a bushing to stabilize the round stock, which can be centerless ground stock with a hydraulic bar feeder.
hardinge is a second can run high RPM but not as much SFM, is depends on a few factors type of material, the size of the diameter, and
surface finish required. never good to run a lathe at full RPM it will ruin it.
the simple SFM guide line will calculate the correct RPM.

edit : my experience has been for full CNC with live tools , 8 axis tornos , citizen, & star , I believe max RPM was between 7-10 K. been a while.

They changed the machine in 1960 to oil circulation to the spindle bearings, and the machine can be run at 4000 for extended periods without harm.
The earlier 3 window headstocks the bearings are sitting in oil, and does tend to heat up more. More or less a judgement thing on older machines on how hot is too hot, the headstocks on older machines do run a bit hotter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back