Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default History of the Monarch Machine Tool Co - help posting

Ok, I finally dug up the line history I been working off and on for years now. It is about 30 pages long and the pdf file is 516Kb which is too big to post here. Anyone have any suggestions where to post this? Anyone have a website that can host and we can link to? Please contact me with ideas. I finally figure even though it is still rough, it does not do anyone any good sitting on my hard drive.

John
    Last edited by Cal Haines; 11-24-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Correct title

2. Likes old_dave, Cal Haines, 3512B liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You might try Keith Rucker's website at VintageMachinery.org | Welcome

My lathe came with a notebook that contained a 20 page Monarch Lubrication Manual, and an 8 page Monarch Lathes document. I would post these somewhere, but I hate to duplicate documents that are Monarch's property. I also have my 1961 original manual, but it wouldn't be possible to scan it because there are so many "centerfold" drawings.

I should mention, Keith bought a 10ee and will be posting some restoration videos New Machine: 1942 Monarch 1EE Lathe - YouTube
    he also has a 16" monarch and a series on the restoration of that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can't advise how to do this but I look forward to what will surely be a very valuable contribution to industrial history being made available.
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If Kieth Rucker can not handle it, try Tony Griffiths website, www.lathes.co.uk
    Both of these are great historical websites.
    Bruce

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jlegge View Post
    Ok, I finally dug up the line history I been working off and on for years now. It is about 30 pages long and the pdf file is 516Kb which is too big to post here. Anyone have any suggestions where to post this? Anyone have a website that can host and we can link to? Please contact me with ideas. I finally figure even though it is still rough, it does not do anyone any good sitting on my hard drive.

John
    John,

I'd be happy to assist, but have no server online at present.

What I need to dig out for joint editing/inclusion are my notes and research into the non-machining side of the firm. Information about its principals and prime movers. Corporate formations, County & state trails, local newspaper articles, mergers, etc.

It would be a nice project to get this sort of information integrated and most of all VETTED, while there are still a few folks around who "were there" and still remember enough to sort the odd mystery.

I also don't see a lot wrong with asking Monarch Lathe LP if they'd care to participate in fleshing out the history and transition.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I would be happy to host any Monarch files on my server, either temporarily or permanently. If you're interested, just email them to me - [email protected]. I will then email the links back for you to share.

This is great information that should be preserved and shared!

Thank you,
    Guy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John

Greg Menke of this forum already has two old Monarch scans of yours on this web page - maybe he can include your pdf

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/index.html

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To add to this, it would be great if "those who where there could record experiences and upload old photos. For the few builders that are still in business or who where bought out and something other then the prints remain (ie I know Mattison had an internal company newsletter) it would be great if those could be scanned and uploaded as well.

I know some of this probably resides in a drawer at a library someplace. But unless local the rest of us wont see it.

And everyday each of us gets 24 hours older if we are lucky.

10. Likes Monarchist, MCritchley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mebfab View Post
    To add to this, it would be great if "those who where there could record experiences and upload old photos. For the few builders that are still in business or who where bought out and something other then the prints remain (ie I know Mattison had an internal company newsletter) it would be great if those could be scanned and uploaded as well.
    I've got a bunch of copies of the internal Monarch magazine, but they're waiting on me getting my flatbed scanner working again to be scanned. I could do a few on the multifunction scanner/printer, but it really needs the flatbed to be done decently.

John: I'd like a copy of the original history to put on the 10EE CD I have.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And by the by... probably too late for John to still be able to do so, but could our Moderator see if he has the tools to change the title?

EG:

As Reads: "Monarch Machone Tool"

Should be Amended to Read: "Monarch Machine Tool"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want a copy and your email can accept a large file, PM me your email. Offer good thru Sunday.

Please note, most of the info in this history came from company records that I searched through while I worked at Monarch. This history is in a time line format.

If you want to host this history on your web site please PM me.

Also, sorry for fat-finger the tile of this thread

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you want a copy and your email can accept a large file, PM me your email. Offer good thru Sunday.
    Yes, please.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I visited Monarch in June of 2015, Harry Camp told me that they had an internal history, but he didn't offer to share it, even though I expressed interest.

Cal

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post
    When I visited Monarch in June of 2015, Harry Camp told me that they had an internal history, but he didn't offer to share it, even though I expressed interest.

Cal
    To be fair, there have probably been times that doin's on PM's Monarch Forum have been more worrisome than simpatico to those still earning their crust at it, commercially.

BTW.. since you are 'ere... could you change "Machone" to "Machine" in the thread title... so it doesn't look so ... C. O. Jone's-ey?

Post Thanks / Like

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for the feedback, I am making corrections and will send out update to the website hosts. An editor I am not, and it was one of the things that held me back from making this public.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I received the PDF this afternoon. I is full of great Info.

A public thanks.

whhjr

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One thing not in the history that I have wondered for years is the origin of the phrase "No obsolescence tolerated here", which appeared on all the Monarch publications in the 40's and 50's.

d72_6066.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    One thing not in the history that I have wondered for years is the origin of the phrase "No obsolescence tolerated here", which appeared on all the Monarch publications in the 40's and 50's.

d72_6066.jpg
    My best guess would have been Wendell Whipp, who was the head of marketing as well for many years, but this is just a guess.

22. Likes rimcanyon liked this post