What's new
What's new

How do you separate the bed from the pedestals on a monarch 16CY?

marka12161

Stainless
Hi all,

I'm thinking about having the bed-ways ground but have yet to make that decision. If I do, i'll need to separate the bed ways from the pedestals. I think there are some bolts on the head stock end that are accessible from the motor compartment. However, it's not obvious how to remove separate the bed from the pedestal on the tail stock end. Are there bolts accessible from the bottom of the pedestal? If so, i'll need to get the machine up off the ground enough to get under there.

Thanks
Mark

I always supposed there is no other way. Exactly the same as the Greaves Klusman - bolts go UP into tapped holes in the item above. Chip pans just make this more so

(You would think in a production setting with unlimited lifting aids that this would be most expeditious and least dangerous to turn this into an upside down operation)

Here are some photos of slipping the badly damaged BOTTOM portion out from under chip pan on the GK. To get this far, I had to have assy UP enough to get the bottom most bolts out. You just have to be able to get your arms under - not all of you:D

Its plain as day something awful could happen in such goings on - don't let it happen

DCP_1390.jpgDCP_1391.jpgDCP_1392.jpgDCP_1393.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm thinking about having the bed-ways ground but have yet to make that decision. If I do, i'll need to separate the bed ways from the pedestals. I think there are some bolts on the head stock end that are accessible from the motor compartment. However, it's not obvious how to remove separate the bed from the pedestal on the tail stock end. Are there bolts accessible from the bottom of the pedestal? If so, i'll need to get the machine up off the ground enough to get under there.

Thanks
Mark

That is the case. There are bolts from the bottom. I was thinking about the same thing. If you do have your ways ground, I would love to hear the story. CY's have flame hardened ways, approximately 0.125" deep. (this is an educated guess) I have looked into a couple local companies that have the ability but it isn't cheap for accurate work.

My CY is 30" between centers and is worn closest to the head stock but not bad. You have eight contact points on the base and can do some strategic leveling to reduce the affect of wear, but that is easier on my 30" than say a 50" bed.

Back