Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post I have a new (to me) Monarch 10EE

I picked up a EE off a Purple Wave auction! She sat in a town shop for ten years +-, unused, following a school auction. I got her cheap, mainly due to her appearance. Abandoned, unused, and unmaintained resulted in years of dirt and old oil coagulating on the top surfaces of the machines poor appearance. Her paint peeling off in layers making a mosaic of paint chips. I am looking forward to the tinker time in the ShopShed and making Replica Weapon systems. That is for the future though, for now I need to focus on my machines, which brings me to this forum.
    I don't think she suffers internally as everything turns, shifts, and moves freely with no odd noises. The rust on the chucks came off real easy with an Evaporust bath. I cleaned the grime off with a WD-40 sponge bath. Now it's time to strip all the paint layers off and renew what I think is the original color. I contacted Monarch and asked for info. All I received was a little hand written message; Color, not recorded, Elec. Diagram EE-3216, Original Owner - GE Cincinnati Ohio, and shipped in 1951. Not much info but it's a beginning. Where the Monarch badge came off was Hammered Steel paint I am assuming is original.
    I am not at all an expert, not even an apprentice of machine tear down and repair so I am sure I will have numbers of questions. I have four lathes and am honing my ability on many basic skills. Looking forward, from here there is no other direction.

Jim
    ey9252.jpgey9252.jpgey9252l.jpgey9252l.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congrats!! What tooling came with it?

Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good Luck,

Purple Wave has been hit or miss in my experience. You have a lot of drudge work ahead but it looks like a good start.
    Where in Kansas are you?

Steve

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Accusize 8 piece tool holder set, a bunch of collets, several HSS cutters, and two carbide cutters with extra inserts. I'm looking forward to making chips. Sorry about the delay in responding, I'm new to this forum thing. I'm trying to figure it out. I've gone and picked up a new (to me) turret lathe and have been tinkering with it too.

5. Likes Zap921 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm at the north end of Perry Lake, about 20 miles north of Topeka. It'd be a great place if it weren't for the taxes. PW is like any other auction site. I've been fairly lucky so far. She is cleaning up really nice. Everything looks good so far with the machine. I need to get her some electricity now.
    Sorry about the delay in responding, I'm just learning this forum stuff. I don't even have a smart phone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great scoop. You got one of the first square dial machines.

There's a real good chance it was set aside because the drive died. That's the weak spot on these machines. The steel will last forever.

If you have the aptitude for electrical repair, there's plenty of experts here on this site to help you find the way.

If you're not into that, there is another great option. Replace the drive with a three phase motor and VFD. A sub option from here is whether to go with a small motor and keep the back gear, or just get a 10hp 3 phase motor.

I've had my 10EE 20 years now. I went with option A for about two years. Pulled all my hair out with frustration.

VFDs were super expensive in the late 90s so I went with a 5hp 3 phase motor and kept the backgear. It has worked wonderfully without one hiccup.

Today, VFD prices have come way down. I'd suggest a ten horse VFD and 3 phase motor - no back gear.

Just my two cents. many have choose another option.

8. Likes ShopShed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ShopShed View Post
    I don't even have a smart phone.
    Wise to keep it that way. Kinda vampirish those are.

They leave the factory dumb as a box of dirty beach sand but with a voracious appetite for eye-candy, time wasted, and excuses for both.

They only become "Smart" phones by incrementaly stealing your brain, then re-programming it to confuse the hours of yer life.

10. Likes ShopShed, phm87 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get some pics up as she gets cleaned up. Hopefully the drive is ok. I'm sure that'll clean up nicely.

12. Likes ShopShed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The original Motor Generator system was not unreliable. it simply needed a squirt of grease twice a year and inspect the brushes for wear, and replace them before they got too short and started arcing and burning the commuter.

People to day don't understand generators,, used to be all cars and trucks had them, then in the 1960's alternators came along, Used to be there were generator and starter repair shops in every town. Today, you turn in your old starter or alternator for core, and you get a new one.

So once anything goes 'wrong' with an MG drive, then everyone throws their arms into the air and give up.. and go with the latest and not so greatest..
    An AC mother with a vid will not usually have the low end torque needed to make chips and maintain proper steady speed.
    '
    Anyway,, best bet is to read the stickies on this forum, Cal has done an admirable job of getting plenty of information for testing, diagnosing and repairing the MG drives. In general they are reliable, simple, repairable, and worth keeping up and using.
    It is hard to beat the low rpm torque of a big old DC motor.

DualValve

14. Likes rakort, labeeman, ShopShed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The last school lot I won everything operated as it should. I have my hopes up about this one. The electrical looks like it's all solenoids and relays, I'm thinking it was reworked at General Electric before going to the military. I'll try to add some pictures of it; lets see here...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it's bad I think I'll go with a golf cart motor, good clean DC. I haven't figured out the adding pictures yet. Just started this forum stuff.img_1439.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If it's bad I think I'll go with a golf cart motor,
    You are more likely to have time to ride about in a golf cart than have to rob its motor.

That's a T-Rex hatchling of a Dinosaur-Current large-frame Reliance 3 HP Type T confidently defending its kingdom back of that gearbox.

More than one human generation have expired of old age waiting for one of those to die.

And then... some of us love 'em so much we even harbour a SPARE. For EACH of two 10EE. Whaddayuh figure? Covered for the next 200 years? Conservatively!

I mean.. ABB/Rockwell Automation/Baldor/Reliance was asking over eleven thousand Yew Ass dollars EACH for the modern-day imitator last time I looked.

On the evidence? The long life may have a nutrition based factor. They appear to be carniverous.

Well known to eat BBQ'ed VFD's and 3-Phase motors and shit the smoothest of turd in the form of great gobs of torque.

"Sandbaggers" "Old" Reliance were. Masters at the game.

Note it isn't even rated for "continuous" doody?

Put "blower" to it, change the nameplate to 300 VDC? You have a FIVE HP motor still good for easily fifty years service, no other changes required.

Just look at the brushes. Four of the massive buggers, not two. Commutator under 'em resembles a political refugee from a prehistoric Great Lakes asteroid-strike Copper mine.

"Back in the Day" Reliance Electric & Engineering made a HABIT of making lesser motors class as Rolls-Royce pretenders no more worthy than entry-level Kia's with lockwarshers and fancy up-hole-stirry. Bigger firms - Exxon to Rockwell - FOUGHT over even their bones.

RELIANCE ELECTRIC CO. | Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University

That is but a precis. There's more detailed history out there. A great deal more. Engineering "white papers" as well. It's even interesting as well as useful.

Worthy partner to the Wizards of Sidney, "Old" Reliance were.

You'd have to know Ohio. Back-in-the day. Or still-yet, today.

You don't "own" that 10EE. American history does.

You are just the current minder on a multi-generational guard-duty roster.

Lucky bastards, aren't we?

18. Likes ShopShed liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kansas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Now that's funny there!

I don't plan on her being dead, just ticked off about being ignored for so many years. She's dirty inside and out. I plan to spend a day or two putting her in a shinny new dress and trying to make her pretty enough to work on. I hope we have a long lasting relationship. img_1430.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't plan on her being dead, just ticked off about being ignored for so many years. She's dirty inside and out. I plan to spend a day or two putting her in a shinny new dress and trying to make her pretty enough to work on. I hope we have a long lasting relationship. img_1430.jpg
    "She" doesn't wear dresses. Body paint is all. Proud as Hell of her curvaceous bod.

"Dirty inside and out", indeed. A gentle douche might be appreciated. She has been though the Old Iron equivalent of years of sexual abuse, after all. Driven hard, and put away dry-wayed and swarlflish belly'ed.

Even so... note her having taken a smirky pride in wearing-out a coupla generations of virtual gang-rapists and still hungering for more of the game.

One of the funnier chapters in "Pink Samurai" was like that.

Arrogant Japanese male (or so he THOUGHT he was..) tried to humiliate a French woman [1] by bringing along his friends for the party.

She made it into a regularly scheduled event, and caused him to bring more for his team, and of higher-quality skill and stamina, if you please - or you are in DEEP S**T!

You'd have to know demanding wimmin' with healthy appetites?

Or 10EE's. Cheaper, actually. By far. DAMHIKT!

[1] Dunno. Demo guy, but was never was into sky-diving, bungee jumping, nor any of that RISKY shit. Don't REALLY think I have a "death wish". But my "third 10EE" is actually a FRENCH Cazeneuve HBX-360-BC... so... "time will tell".

21. Likes ShopShed liked this post