What's new
What's new

I/M Gearbox... Keep or sell?

TheOldCar

Stainless
I got one in a parts lot purchase, but don’t know if I should take on the project of adapting it to my lathe.
I have and use metric change gears currently. I fear it might be too much down time and parts sourcing if I choose to install the I/M.

Rebuilt insides, was stripped and in process of painting when owner passed away.

It shouldn't take any more part than you have.
I have a thread showing how to cut out and make room for your metric gear box.
I have the patterns(2) for the cuts required, if you need them.
Go for it.

Hal

Crap. I don't want to regret selling later. Does it use the regular banjo gears that my lathe has? (Where I do my transposing switcharoo when using metric change gears).

The only things missing that I can tell are the lever and thread/feed chart plates. Still masking tape there.

Switching change gears isn't total torture, but I always fear dropping a nut down inside the gearbox when I do.

I always fear dropping a nut down inside the gearbox when I do.

Surely the military developed solutions to manage that risk, but a quick search failed me. Maybe some kind of temporary light cable tether that is threaded through a safety-wire like hole until the fastener is 'safe'?

Where is Thermite with some old lore when you need him?

Oh yeah - dibs on the gearbox if you haven't installed it by the time of your estate sale! :)

"Where is Thermite with some old lore when you need him?"
Well, by some great bit of luck he was finally banned, just go through over 20,000 post and several of his forum IDs, for the full treasure trove of lies from the greatest fake machinist ever!

Anyway, the metric gearbox would be of great value to someone that cuts a number of metric threads.
Myself, using change gears on the standard ee hugely time consuming and irritating when making an adapter with both thread systems on the same part, I fiquered I lost around $200 each time.
Due to working with modern hydraulics, the inch only ee does not have much value for me.
On the plus side, its obvious that the metric ability ads several thousands to the value of an ee

Well, by some great bit of luck he was finally banned, just go through over 20,000 post and several of his forum IDs, for the full treasure trove of lies from the greatest fake machinist ever!

Anyway, the metric gearbox would be of great value to someone that cuts a number of metric threads.
Myself, using change gears on the standard ee hugely time consuming and irritating when making an adapter with both thread systems on the same part, I fiquered I lost around $200 each time.
Due to working with modern hydraulics, the inch only ee does not have much value for me.
On the plus side, its obvious that the metric ability ads several thousands to the value of an ee

Crap, you guys are swaying me towards keeping it. We have one Italian rebar machine at work that my change gears from Zanhrad have allowed me to make crucial, emergency repairs on. Meaning, despite my poser machinist status, I need metric capabilities more than I ever imagined. Duh...
My "problem" is this: I like threading on my 10EE better than the other lathes I have, so I'm always changing gears back and forth. And your point about the hydraulic parts is a very good one...

Crap. I don't want to regret selling later. Does it use the regular banjo gears that my lathe has? (Where I do my transposing switcharoo when using metric change gears).

The only things missing that I can tell are the lever and thread/feed chart plates. Still masking tape there.

Switching change gears isn't total torture, but I always fear dropping a nut down inside the gearbox when I do.

Since I don't use my metric change gears often I ended up writing myself a narrative on how to do it. It helps in having all the needed tools at hand and in proceeding in the proper order. One of my early steps after removing the end gear cover is: "Block the bottom of the end gear chamber with aluminum foil to help keep
 small parts from falling in to the innards of the lathe."

David

Donnie-

That's interesting, and I couldn't agree with you more. I have largely stayed away from PM because his non-stop BS made my eyes bleed.

But I see two posts from him just this week, so if he was banned it was a temporary thing. I use Ignore on him now, but a ban would be better.

Yes, "it" appears to have returned, but so far not the disruption "it" was.

Some months ago, a I/M machine sold for $1700. it had been left in the weather. but the gearbox would likely to be still good.
Back in the 90s, there was a Florida company that sold 10ee lathes to the government, the price list they published listed the I/M gearbox option right at $10000. Not a bad price considering the Taper attachment was $8000, chucks a bit over $1500, and the work light at $600.
Anyway, the I/M gearbox was a spendy option

I’ll trade you a metric gear set for the I/M gearbox...
I’ll even drive from Vegas to come get it...

John

Also have a Low Lead gearbox that fits the kearney trecker 2h/2ch mill that I would trade!

Back