What's new
What's new

Interesting Long-Travel Rivett Taper Attachment

Halcohead

Stainless
Someone recently posted a link to this Rivett 1020S up for gov auction (Rivett Model 1020S Lathe with Collets and Chucks - NOT TESTED - govdeals.com) and I noticed it has an unusually long travel taper attachment. Appears to be about double the length of my 1030F's. Presumably it can't do angles as steep but still cool to see Rivett offered custom options like this:

6794_635_12.jpg 6794_635_11.jpg

Also note the TA pivot is not centered in its travel for some reason. It's funny to put a TA that long on a lathe with 20" between centers. The TA might be capable of doing the entire bed length.

The lathe also shows a different 5C lever closer adapted to the spindle, for those whose machines didn't come with the original.

Wish I could get my hands on that steadyrest; still haven't found one for my machine. Including some other photos from the listing:

Attachments

• 6794_635_1.jpg
    6794_635_1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 159
  • 6794_635_2.jpg
    6794_635_2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 141
Rest of the listing photos. Machine has the older style tailstock (I don't know which is better) and lacks the ELSR stoprod/microswitch assembly. This is the first 1020/1030 I've seen that didn't have that stoprod from the factory. Lastly it appears this machine has electronic speed control rather than a reeves drive, based on the box over the headstock.

Attachments

• 6794_635_9.jpg
    6794_635_9.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 6794_635_8.jpg
    6794_635_8.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 6794_635_4.jpg
    6794_635_4.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 85
Halcohead, if you have the time, could you post pics, or links to pics, of new style 1020F tailstock?

Thanks very much for the pics you posted at the start of this thread!

L7

Lucky7, this is the newer tailstock style (coincidentally I think this is Medsar's lathe):

IMG_0239.jpg
(photo from this thread: Rivett 1030F looking to trade.)

The important detail is the locknut is accessed from the rear of the tailstock, rather than the right side under the quill handle. They are very different castings. But the easy way to distinguish between the two is the old style has a ~1 diameter long turned collar right before the handwheel, while on the newer style this is integrally cast into the tailstock so is painted.

there is no clutch on this lathe, just the slot for the handle.

Good eye Quasi, I missed that. That's consistent with it having a monarch-style electronic varispeed drive in the base, rather than the Reeves drive.

I did something similar on mine; replaced the Reeves with a VFD and then have two motors to drive the spindle, electronically switching between which is powered. There's no clutch, but I left the knob in place for now. I can make the lathe coast to a stop by engaging a different VFD decel mode, but so far haven't had reason to.

Lucky7, this is the newer tailstock style (coincidentally I think this is Medsar's lathe):

My apologies. I’m catching up on my subscribed threads. Yes, that’s a photo of the Rivett that I have. Not my shop though (I don’t claim to have a better looking shop or cleaner shop...)

Back