What's new
What's new

Intermediate shaft removal on CK headstock

Gutless

Plastic
I have owned a '41 CK for about 5 years and it recently lost 'high' range. Took the headstock cover off and noticed the RH intermediate shaft gear is no longer attached to the shaft, it spins freely.

I need to remove that shaft and replace the key, or whatever retains the gear to the shaft, but I can't figure out how to remove the shaft.

I might be able to remove the long intermediate shaft (28) and then remove gear (32) and have enough axial distance to remove gear (19) and then maybe slide my shaft (25) to the left far enough to remove my gear (23) that is my root problem, but I was hoping there was an easier method.

Anybody done this before? Does that right intermediate gear get held on using with a pair of keyways like the left intermediate gear I have successfully removed?

This is from the manual, red shaft is what I need to remove the the yellow highlight is the gear I need to repair.
HeadstockMonarch.jpg

And here is where I am. I have the clutch and the left intermediate TRB and left intermediate gear removed. I can't move the intermediate shaft farther left as the spacer hits the adjacent shaft gear.

Is there an accepted process to remove this shaft? Hints?

Thanks! Resurrecting a deceased Monarch mechanic from the 50's isn't really an option here so I am hoping I can get back to spinning 600+ RPM :D

headstockmonarch1.jpg

Attachments

• HeadstockMonarch.jpg
    HeadstockMonarch.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 19
Check out this three part series (Machining 360) on disassembly of the Monarch 16 CY headstock. Yours will be very similar. Joe does a great job explaining everything in detail and is very thorough and clear.

Monarch 16CY Restoration P17: Headstock Disassembly P1 - YouTube

I was about to post the same thing. I have a '44 CK and the CY headstock is very similar. I haven't had to tear into mine but Joe's videos are my goto reference if I do. You may have to pull some of the other shafts out, these things tend to come apart in a certain order.

Is Joe a member here? He hasn't posted anything (YouTube) in a while and I was wondering if he was ok.

Old "M" Monarch - gives an idea how many pieces the shaft assy consists of

20210303_155623.jpg

In your minds eye you can imagine the PILE of special tools Monarch had to invent for this job

Thank's for the suggestion to check out Joe's videos. He covers exactly what I needed to know and it 100% answers what I need to do and what needs replacement. I checked out a few of Abom's videos but he didn't go as deep as I need so it was great to see someone else covering things.

It's not necessarily the answer I wanted (near full teardown to tackle this) but I know what I'm getting into. I think I can get the shaft out without pulling the main spindle shaft but at that point I might just pull it and thoroughly clean the housing base. I plan on keeping this lathe for 40+ years so probably worth it.

Ditto on the complexity Monarch must have sent through in the 30's designing and manufacturing these lathes. From 'pedestrian' stuff like milling and turning but hobbing, shaping, ect in the 'dark ages' is amazing, and the fits are top notch.

Is Joe a member here? He hasn't posted anything (YouTube) in a while and I was wondering if he was ok.

I'm pretty sure Joe is a PM member. I corresponded with him via email in late January regarding a question i had on my project. He is always very responsive and helpful. He indicated at that time that he was quite busy with other stuff and didn't have much time to work on his Monarch. I can only assume he was doing OK at that time.

I am having a trouble getting photos to attach but-

The lathe is back together and works good.

I had both keys shear on the RH intermediate shaft gear. I had a little galling on the OD of the shaft and ID of the gear but I was able to polish both surfaces up and it slipped together reasonable.

I was able to remove the small intermediate shaft by pulling the input/pulley shaft and main intermediate shaft.

The bottom of the housing had a good amount of thick, metallic laden oil so I did a good cleanout and flush with diesel with a fresh full of AW68 oil.

I can get back to turning now :)

Back