It's alive! (1943 10ee)
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default It's alive! (1943 10ee)

    After two years of work, my 1943 10EE actually runs! (AND it doesn't leak oil everywhere.)
    It took about 15 gallons of kerosene mixed with parts cleaner to de-grease and de-crud the poor thing. And countless hours of scrubbing. I took apart everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every bearing except the head stock spindle was replaced, along with every seal and wiper.
    I'm going to have to take another look at the carriage, though. The Bijur pump is clearly working but oil doesn't appear to be getting everywhere evenly. So, a few things left to do.
    But it runs and all the controls work. Yipee!
    img_6772.jpg

  2. Likes TheOldCar, kvom, Steven-Canada liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salinas, CA USA
    Posts
    4,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    260
    Likes (Received)
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by focusrsh View Post
    After two years of work, my 1943 10EE actually runs! (AND it doesn't leak oil everywhere.)
    It took about 15 gallons of kerosene mixed with parts cleaner to de-grease and de-crud the poor thing. And countless hours of scrubbing. I took apart everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every bearing except the head stock spindle was replaced, along with every seal and wiper.
    I'm going to have to take another look at the carriage, though. The Bijur pump is clearly working but oil doesn't appear to be getting everywhere evenly. So, a few things left to do.
    But it runs and all the controls work. Yipee!
    img_6772.jpg
    Congratulations! Nice looking machine. Did you replace the 4 bearings in the headstock below the spindle? I recently removed the apron oil pump on my round dial, and brazed the lever where it was worn, where it runs against the handwheel shaft cam. It had about ⅛" of wear at that point, and I think every little bit of lost motion affects the ability of the pump to deliver oil. Even with that, it does not over lube. I think the designers of the lube system knew what they were doing, and the amount of oil it delivers is just right. If the way wipes are kept up, the system works. On my machine, the front V-ways get the least amount of oil, but its enough.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by focusrsh View Post
    And countless hours of scrubbing. I took apart everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Every bearing except the head stock spindle was replaced, along with every seal and wiper.
    Congrats! If you want to do it right, you do the whole thing.

    That is my intention as well, just finishing up the motors and known electrical issues. I have also stripped the paint from most everything and am in the process of sanding and prepping for paint. Then I can get to the hard stuff ((-;.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Looks good! Did you replace the flanged angular contacts in the quick change gearbox? If so, where did you source them from?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    189
    Likes (Received)
    38

    Default

    Congrats!! Got to be a very special moment with many to come, best of luck with her.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Salinas, CA USA
    Posts
    4,131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    260
    Likes (Received)
    229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazymonkey View Post
    Looks good! Did you replace the flanged angular contacts in the quick change gearbox? If so, where did you source them from?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    When I rebuilt my 42 round dial gearbox, 25 yrs ago or so, the flanged bearings were not available except for exorbitant prices. My solution was to buy the standard bearing and cut the groove in it. I did it on a 10EE, but for good surface finish you might want to have it ground.

  8. Likes Crazymonkey liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default

    The only two bearings I didn't replace were the spindle left/right. You know, the super-expensive ones. I couldn't feel any crunchiness, and honestly, even if they are worn , the lathe is WAY more accurate than me.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default

    Yesterday I removed the top of the carriage so I could see the Bijur pump and worked it by hand. After a few minutes, oil came out the pipe that connects to the top of the carriage, so I knew the pump was working. Reassembled it and started working the carriage back and forth by hand. Eventually I saw a dribble of oil out of some of the holes that lubricate the ways, so I'm confident the manifold and the Bijur valves are working. So, I'm declaring victory!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rimcanyon View Post
    When I rebuilt my 42 round dial gearbox, 25 yrs ago or so, the flanged bearings were not available except for exorbitant prices. My solution was to buy the standard bearing and cut the groove in it. I did it on a 10EE, but for good surface finish you might want to have it ground.
    I also used standard bearings, but not having a lathe...chicken and egg!...I measured the depth and used Loctite to secure them in the correct position.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •