What's new
What's new

J King's Shopmade Sjogren

peterh5322

Diamond
Here ...

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/home-made-5c-chuck-done-86161/#post160998

... is J King's shopmade Sjogren, made using "found" materials, the planetary gear system from an automatic transmission, no less.

Perhaps this should be called an Auto Magic collet chuck?

But then we would have to 5AM collets to go with it :-) .

Just about the only thing lacking in this very, very nice implementation is an external 2-3/16"-10 or, optionally, an external 4º taper, for use with Hardinge's step collet system.

See Russ' sticky ...

Step collet chuck

... for an example of a shopmade step collet chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holly crud my god thats awesome seriously that is sweet the thought of making somthing like that would never cross my mind I made a radius turning attachment and some other stuff but a real collet chuck no way. That is beautiful, I have a sorgen or whatever and always wondered what was in it now I know.

Wow.I was surprised to see this resurface.I once again thank everyone for the kind words.Gee.even on a sticky! I am glowing right now.:D

Jim

I have "harvested" J King's photos in case they should disappear and have appended these to this thread.

J King's original text follows.

Finally got this thing done. I really wanted one of these for the lathe. Way to pricey for me so I made one. Didnt want a draw bar type so I figuged out and designed my version. I used a planetary gear out of an automatic transmission. First I tried to use the whole gear cluster housing but there wasnt room for bolts to clear the 4 gears. So me being the wiz made a new gear cluster housing using 3 planetary gears. Came out nice but didnt work! Using only 3 gears spaced around the center gear and inside the outer gear caused the gears not to mesh. Dang. Back to the drawing board. I then removed 2 gears and all was well. Made 2 dummy blanks to take the place of the 2 missing gears to balance all.

Hey Sandman. There is your aluminum piece I bought off you for the handwheel.

I also had to make the D1-3 mount. That was easy to fit. I was worried about getting a perfect fit as it would determine the repeatability once was removed and then reinstalled.

Assembled all and nevously did final assembly and it runs true. I am super pleased! Wanted to show this off since it has been such a project..

Here are some pics of pieces and one of the completed chuck.

Attachments

• may06020.jpg
    may06020.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,599
  • may06019.jpg
    may06019.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,684
  • may06015.jpg
    may06015.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,393
  • may06012.jpg
    may06012.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,335
  • may06009.jpg
    may06009.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,340
More great work

I think his steady rest needs to be shown with the chuck.

Attachments

• mon steady 1.jpg
    mon steady 1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 785
  • mon steady 2.jpg
    mon steady 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 817
  • mon steady 3.jpg
    mon steady 3.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 848
  • mon steady 4.jpg
    mon steady 4.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 917
I have a Hardinge-Sjogren 2J speed chuck with 37 collets from 1/32" to 1-5/16" dia. that I'm going to list on Ebay later this week.
I even have a Rigidtrue ID collet master and thread adapter that's brand new and never been used.
I'm cleaning out some old junk and thought I'd get rid of it as I've never used the setup.
$650.00 takes it all, you guys have first crack.
[email protected] (310)892-3317. I'm in SoCal.

Thanks

I have "harvested" J King's photos in case they should disappear and have appended these to this thread.

Good thing, since I haven't stumbled across Mr. King's OP yet. Love the re-utilization of auto-trans planetaries. I have a trove of #215 collets waiting for a D1-6 version. Their size and my available 10hp makes a handwheel questionable, I'll opt for T-handle driven actuation.
Not considered a lever closer, Pacemaker headstock's like a ZIP code wide...and the cover is gear safety, not structural. I'l continue sleuthing Mr. King though, one of many worthwhile contributors, to be sure.

BTW, #215 are quite 2J like as if manufacturers hadn't enough better standardized choices. Proprietary elements signify lack in confidence by sales department and accounting. I [you can] ask those so bent what critical import they posses, what ever they say inquire of them "So, when the company goes up for liquidation, who bids on your desk full of paper?"

Back