What's new
What's new

Jim's 10ee rebuild thread

jim314159

Aluminum
Hello Folks,

I'm a longtime lurker, first time poster. :) This thread will be about a new-to-me Monarch 10ee, serial number 42984, made in October 1957 and sold to a defense contractor in California according to the records Monarch sent me. I acquired it from a military surplus dealer in Phoenix last month for $3,500 and had it shipped LTL to Atlanta where my shop is. The last 20 miles on a rented trailer were exciting but uneventful.

Although it was sold as being "in good working order" having (allegedly) come out of the tool room at the Haas factory in PHX, upon receipt it clearly needs to be torn down, cleaned, adjusted and painted. The compound moves but is filthy, and the cross slide only turns a quarter turn in either direction. The gearbox also needs attention as most of the levers there are seized up. A few years ago I picked up a Tree 2UVR and redid it, so this isn't my first foray although it took me more than a year start to finish and I am still far from an expert.

The goal of this thread will be to share my progress and hopefully get encouragement, as well as take advantage of the tremendous expertise of the enthusiasts here. I can't guarantee all my questions will be novel or smart, but they'll all be sincere and hopefully of use to others considering taking on the same task. I promise to post lots of photos and if anyone wants details etc. as I'm pulling her apart you need only ask.

She's currently wired (I think) for 3 phase power and I'm going to do my best to keep the WiaD setup as original. Other than the bypassed drum switch under the spindle the drive all looks original to my unexpert eye. I have 220V single phase in the shop and would like to wire it up for that, but that'll be a long time coming!

The first steps are to tear her down so I can get the blast-able pieces blasted and strip the rest, clean out the sumps, etc. etc. Here we go!

--jim

Attachments

• IMG_0956.jpg
    IMG_0956.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 585
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 521
Since the WIAD electronics are single phase , you should have no problems.... but the issue will be at what voltage. If 220/230 , your golden, if 440, will require some transformer work. My 59' was a ex Navy contract machine and had a filament transformer that was re-strapable to every industrial voltage. But most EE's do not have this feature, More detective work will be needed. Remember it's the journey.......:)

Hi Jim I have a WIAD that I striped out to put a 512 ssd in if you need any parts for that post it here I may be able to help you.

TIL! And *that* is why I wanted to start posting here. Thanks, thermite. The placement makes a ton of sense. I guess I just need to source a cover for the drum switch. The ELSR looks like it hasn't worked in a long time, due to the missing shaft and hideous orange paint in the bushings where it used to be. As a result the last owner had a hard switch screwed onto the top of the headstock which was the first thing I removed.

9/5 Update

Hi thread, here are some new photos of the process of pulling her apart. Removed the coolant hose and bootleg exhaust fan, first look at the WIAD components (hand labeled!), got the cover off the gearbox and it looks great inside, astonishingly little wear for being six decades old. A couple things I have noticed:
  1. The pulley that drives the gearbox (I believe) takes power from the spindle but was completely lacking a belt on arrival. Spinning that pulley produces some clunks but no movement in the gearbox. I suspect there is a clutch in the pulley hub or nearby that may have sheared. Can anyone confirm?
  2. The cross slide is jammed up something good. With the compound off I removed the set screw/pin that goes into the nut on the cross slide screw and now the handle turns freely and feels great. Is there anything else that would be holding the cross slide in place like a mechanical lock that's hiding somewhere or missing a lever? A couple of moderate raps from a soft hammer and a lot of Kroil have not budged the slide in either direction. I'm worried its just got years of chips and crud stuck under it, but don't want to bend anything by walloping it with a larger persuader.

Cheers,
jim

Attachments

• IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 362
  • IMG_0977.jpg
    IMG_0977.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0974.jpg
    IMG_0974.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 337
Hi thread, here are some new photos of the process of pulling her apart. Removed the coolant hose and bootleg exhaust fan, first look at the WIAD components (hand labeled!), got the cover off the gearbox and it looks great inside, astonishingly little wear for being six decades old. A couple things I have noticed:
  1. The pulley that drives the gearbox (I believe) takes power from the spindle but was completely lacking a belt on arrival. Spinning that pulley produces some clunks but no movement in the gearbox. I suspect there is a clutch in the pulley hub or nearby that may have sheared. Can anyone confirm?
  2. The cross slide is jammed up something good. With the compound off I removed the set screw/pin that goes into the nut on the cross slide screw and now the handle turns freely and feels great. Is there anything else that would be holding the cross slide in place like a mechanical lock that's hiding somewhere or missing a lever? A couple of moderate raps from a soft hammer and a lot of Kroil have not budged the slide in either direction. I'm worried its just got years of chips and crud stuck under it, but don't want to bend anything by walloping it with a larger persuader.

Cheers,
jim
The belt powers the feeds. A set of end-gears, under a cover that on the back of the headstock powers threading. The quick-change gearbox needs to be in feed mode in order for rotating the feed input pulley to have any effect.

The adjusting nut and pin on the back of the cross-slide, behind the compound, may be too tight and/or the cross-slide gib may be too tight. In any case, you should pull the compound, cross-slide, saddle and apron on any newly acquired 10EE, in order to clean, inspect and lubricate things.

This album has photos with captions that will lead you through pulling the cross-slide:
Square-dial by Cal Haines | Photobucket
Make sure you wind up in a viewing mode that displays the captions. This link should start you in the right place:
Photobucket

This thread has information about pulling the saddle, apron, etc.:
Cal

Looks like a fun project. Looking forward to watch and help where I can with the progress. Seems like you have the same problem that I have yet to figure out regarding pictures that are "up right". I've heard (and experienced) this board has some issues properly posting pictures in their correct orientation.

In this case I do have another, inferior lathe and will make my own cover! I invested the $75 in a bespoke manual from Monarch, and will post the original sale document when I get back to my shop. My first move was to duplicate it so I have a version free of my greasy fingerprints. Thanks, all, for the help. :)

Little bit of progress today in between conference calls. Cal's photo tutorial was spot on; the gib was bound up in there. Take a look at the photo...unless I'm mistaken the gib broke in the past and was brazed back together! Is it still usable or should I seek out a replacement?

There's a lot of transverse scoring on the slide ways. You can still make out the scraping marks on both surfaces, but I suspect they'll need re-scraping. The screw and nut look to be in good shape. Thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpg
    IMG_0985.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0984.jpg
    IMG_0984.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_0983.jpg
    IMG_0983.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0982.jpg
    IMG_0982.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 290
Personally, I would make a new one....but we're jumping the gun here. Clean everything up, blue up the gib on the surface plate to see if it is straight (probably not), then make it so (the hard part), put everything back together and see how much slop the crosslide has. If the gib is salvageable, has some adjustment left, and the crosslide specs out good thru its travel (yeah baby) , do a nice fit/scrape on the saddle/crosslide/gib, flake for oil and you're good to go...Easy Peasy. :crazy: If not......well... we'll talk about that later.

Little bit of progress today in between conference calls. Cal's photo tutorial was spot on; the gib was bound up in there. Take a look at the photo...unless I'm mistaken the gib broke in the past and was brazed back together! Is it still usable or should I seek out a replacement?

There's a lot of transverse scoring on the slide ways. You can still make out the scraping marks on both surfaces, but I suspect they'll need re-scraping. The screw and nut look to be in good shape. Thoughts? Thanks!

I'd replace it. making a proper CI gib isn't that big a deal. Since it sounds like you are planning on scraping (a reconditioning vs a cleanup), the gib is the last part of that process. Scrape, then measure with feeler gauges the gib dimensions needed. The old one might be enough, but really, should be scraped into the newly scraped geometry....and if you're going to all that trouble anyway just start with a new piece of CI.

I've made new cross screws for them which you might want to do, accuracy comes form the screw not the nut. Me, I'd probably replace the nut as well just because, with very old ratty ones there might be all kinds of crap embedded in the bronze which would lap away at the clean screw...or least that would be my justification.

Thanks, fellas. I'll reach out to Brian about a new screw and assess based on price; making a new one myself is outside the envelope of my skills. Will defer judgment on the gib until (much?) later in the process. :)

I'm working on removing the leadscrew and having some trouble sliding it out of the apron. The leftmost 12 inches or so of it are not threaded and that solid part of the rod is binding on the gears for the thread dial. I don't see anything about that in the Dave/Cal thread that was linked earlier. Any ideas other than starting to disassemble the thread dial? Many thanks.

I'm working on removing the leadscrew and having some trouble sliding it out of the apron. The leftmost 12 inches or so of it are not threaded and that solid part of the rod is binding on the gears for the thread dial. I don't see anything about that in the Dave/Cal thread that was linked earlier. Any ideas other than starting to disassemble the thread dial? Many thanks.

If I recall correctly the thread dial can be worked out the top of the apron, or at least loosened by removing the screws around it on the top of the apron.

You'd not need a LOT of justification. It's a good move. Accuracy/linearity comes off the screw, backlash from the nut.

Short length of threads in the nut. Much longer length on the screw. The nut wears rather faster than the screw. Just more evenly so.

There's always backlash, unless there is an antibacklash arrangement. Backlash is the clearance that lets the parts move. Backlash doesn't matter to operation, but it is a indicator of overall wear, which is I guess why lots get concerned about it. Even wear on the screw is easily compensated for, provided you measure/cut vs relying on the dial for accuracy over a long distance.

We can disagree that the nut wears faster, experience suggests with a bronze nut that is not always so. See photo, screw is about ready to disappear over a considerable length, nut is far from perfect but is holding its own. Main reason imo for replacing the nut is to make sure you're starting clean without a nut with embedded crap ready to wear the new screw.

Fb1MP1N.jpg

If I recall correctly the thread dial can be worked out the top of the apron, or at least loosened by removing the screws around it on the top of the apron.
Some 10EE have a set screw that retains the thread dial, in addition to the 4 screws in the top, it is accessible from the front of the apron.

Holy Toledo, the wear on the screw Macguyver posted! Thankful mine does not look like that. I will need to degrease and inspect my screw and then will decide whether to replace. The nut will get replaced.

More progress today. Looks like about 0.008" clearance between the carriage and ways, so acceptable wear overall. Loosening the thread dial screws did the trick to get the leadscrew out; getting the SHCS out of the feed rod clutch was a PITA but patience won out. I would estimate the weight of the apron at 65-70 lbs. and glad I used a progression of longer 3/8-16 bolts to lower it slowly until it was free.

I'm going to get the carriage all the way off, have a look at the underside, and then send it out for grinding (assume you'd need to do that first to get rid of the scoring before bothering to scrape?) while I work on the apron.

Humble thanks again to all you knowledgeable folks. I'm having a lot of fun so far!

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0989.jpg
    IMG_0989.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0990.jpg
    IMG_0990.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_0992.jpg
    IMG_0992.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_0993.jpg
    IMG_0993.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 238
I'm going to get the carriage all the way off, have a look at the underside, and then send it out for grinding (assume you'd need to do that first to get rid of the scoring before bothering to scrape?) while I work on the apron.
As soon as you remove enough material from the bottom of the saddle to clean it up, you lower the carriage with respect to the leadscrew and feed-rod. You have to have to build the bottom of the saddle back up with Moglice or equivalent to get it back to the right height.

If you haven't already done so, study the late Harry Bloom's 10EE rebuild thread: "Wreck" update

Cal

More progress today. Looks like about 0.008" clearance between the carriage and ways, so acceptable wear overall.

That's pretty close to new, they were made with very little clearance there. Mine wore a *lot* and dropped that into contact, then wore the saddle and bed some more.

I'd clean things up and put it back together. Bet with some cleaning and adjustments it'll run near as new.

Back