What's new
What's new

Just bought a CVA

Fizzy

Plastic
Thought I better join up here as I understand the CVA is basically a Monarch clone?
I have been after a nice toolroom lathe for years.
I have a lovely old Colchester Triumph Roundhead which hardly has any wear. Can turn within a few tenths all day and I have even achieved a micron on a good day which is incredible. Will never get rid of it but been hankering for something different.

The CVA I have just bought is pretty well equipped. Comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks. A faceplate. A bull nose collet chuck and collets. And wait for it. BOTH steadies! I understand they are pretty rare as they are identical to the Monarch ones.
The machine dates to 1957 and apparently has very little wear. We shall see. Not collecting it until the 7th of November. Seller sounds very genuine.

Really excited to see if these machines are as good as they say.

I used to run a CVA while stationed at RAF Mildenhall years back. It was a MOD item that we shared with the Limeys.. Thermite is right about the drive system, but none the less it was a hell of a lathe. I think that one was badged by KT. Very NICE lathe. Congratulations, you'll really come to love it. Don

Welcome to the club.
I have accidently acquired 2 of these, both cost more to move than I paid for them.
I have an unmolested copy of the parts manual if you need to take it to bits.
These Monarch 10EE owners are jealous as they spend more time trying to get their drives working than using the machine. Nothing like a big old 4HP AEI engine with a 12 speed gearbox, and coupled to a VFD.

Thought I better join up here as I understand the CVA is basically a Monarch clone?
I have been after a nice toolroom lathe for years.
I have a lovely old Colchester Triumph Roundhead which hardly has any wear. Can turn within a few tenths all day and I have even achieved a micron on a good day which is incredible. Will never get rid of it but been hankering for something different.

The CVA I have just bought is pretty well equipped. Comes with 3 and 4 jaw chucks. A faceplate. A bull nose collet chuck and collets. And wait for it. BOTH steadies! I understand they are pretty rare as they are identical to the Monarch ones.
The machine dates to 1957 and apparently has very little wear. We shall see. Not collecting it until the 7th of November. Seller sounds very genuine.

Really excited to see if these machines are as good as they say.

Had one for years and it's always enjoyable to use. The really rare accessory is the metric screwcutting set - if you find that in the cupboard you've struck gold.
I can email copies of the manuals if needed

Charles

Charles
Yes came with what I think is the full set. Very happy!
Manuals would be great if you have them.
Thanks

Yes the parts manual would be great.
Sadly mine is the slower speed version. Top speed around 1600 - wish it was the 2 or 3000 rpm one.
Any idea how much oil the hydraulic drive holds?
Also where can you get belts? One of the V belts looks pretty bad.

For belts, measure the pulley groove. When you know the pulley groove you can use this chart to know which class size. Note some are round top, others flat.

67.jpg

Now you need to know length. You can try to cut a piece of rope to measure around the whole loop for a rough ball park. I seem to always order a 1/2 too short or too long :D, so I usually buy 3 belts and keep the one that fits. An auto parts store can help measure an old belt as well.

Yes the parts manual would be great.
Sadly mine is the slower speed version. Top speed around 1600 - wish it was the 2 or 3000 rpm one.
Any idea how much oil the hydraulic drive holds?

Nothing wrong with the 1645 RPM version. Mine is the 2200 one and I rarely go over 1200.
No idea on oil capacity. It has a drain, sight level and filler so trial and error is fine.
The twin drive belts are 90B according to the manual (but do check). Simply Bearings is my usual port of call but as with everything bearing/drive related, it pays to shop around. But do replace them in pairs.

I PM'd you with my details so that I can send over the manuals

Charles

Gearbox Oil Volume

Welcome Fizzy,

I'm a bit slow off the mark here, but from what I recall the main gearbox holds about 6 litres.
I have Mobil DTE Heavy Medium in mine (ISO68).
Can't help with the belt size, mine is the flat belt version.

What's the machine serial number?
Can you post some pictures?

Martin

Back