What's new
What's new

Just got in, 1968 Monarch 612.... "how to" questions

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1. Spindle brake doesn't work.... is it automatic or are you supposed to pull up on the same lever you pull down to engage ?

2. Auto feed is weak...especially in cross screw but also in Z...can stop by holding handwheels... adjustments are where/how ? (it does have a taper attachment....wonder if cross could be partially disengaged for that ?)

3. Feed direction control doesn't change direction... pull out direction knob, push in no difference (it actually did work the first time I tried it... but now doesn't)

4. Rapid traverse (yes it has that option)....is this supposed to engage by pulling up on the apron upper right lever ? If so nothing happens....

IMG_6600.jpg

I picked up a 1967 612/2516 earlier this fall but haven't gotten it set up yet as I need to convert it from 440v to 230v, which is going to take significant rewiring, so can't answer much.
IMG_3307.jpg

The rapid traverse is suppose to be engaged with the power feed levers on the apron for the cross slide and carriage, they should have a T-shaped pattern, down to engage, left or right for rapid. The rapid traverse is driven by a separate motor tucked above and behind the main drive motor, so you may have electrical issues.
IMG_3254.jpg

612 Operation manual here:

Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Model 612 Lathe - Operators Manual | VintageMachinery.org

With pdf here:
http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/15004.pdf

Does apron have oil ? It is basically a total loss oil system, in that its oil feeds ways for carriage, needs refilling.

Spindle brake should be automatic and self adjusting, while the clutch is manually adjusted:

473.jpg

Clutch adjustments for apron:

474.jpg

Leadscrew reverse is the lever upper, right side, just outside of apron. by thread dial.

A plain apron looks like this:

475.jpg

While rapid traverse on apron looks like this:

476.jpg

Last two pics off a 61 series, but you should have similar design. I can't see your apron well enough in your two threads to tell which you have.

The spindle brake should stop the spindle when the lever is raised. The rapids may have a slide that needs to be depressed to engage the rapid function. My series 62 has these slides, push down then move the handle left for out, right for in on the cross, towards the direction of travel on the long axis.

The feed direction knob, make sure the halfnut lever is not blocking the knob.

Steve

For those interested, we started hearing about the lathe here:
Monarch 612.. overall length and aprox weight of this one ? (photo)

I was curious how the condition looks with it in front of you now.
Ways look great, cross backlash is acceptable (1/4 turn), all speeds and feeds work fine. The 3 jaw and 4 jaw chucks (both Cushman), except for light coating of rust are almost like new. There is no "repaired crack" in the headstock cover so not sure how that was surmised. Biggest disappointment is the paint is not original.....(auction photos seemed to indicate no excess paint on the data plates thus my hope it was original paint) In the tooling cabinet that came with it, also got a collet chuck, collets, 30 or so carbide tool holders, carbide insert boring bars, a few new inserts, two Aloris CA wedge type tool posts and eight or so Aloris tool holders.

Back to the problems....fixed the feed "strength" via the mentioned clutch adjustments but still can't get the feed reverse to work ...plenty of oil in the apron. Adjusted spindle clutch but still very little brake action. Still no rapid travel action. The saga will continue....

I think that is a terrible awful machine that cannot be fixed, you need to be rid of it instantly

Just throw it on a truck and send it up to me and I will get rid of it for you.................

1. Spindle brake doesn't work.... is it automatic or are you supposed to pull up on the same lever you pull down to engage ?

2. Auto feed is weak...especially in cross screw but also in Z...can stop by holding handwheels... adjustments are where/how ? (it does have a taper attachment....wonder if cross could be partially disengaged for that ?)

3. Feed direction control doesn't change direction... pull out direction knob, push in no difference (it actually did work the first time I tried it... but now doesn't)

4. Rapid traverse (yes it has that option)....is this supposed to engage by pulling up on the apron upper right lever ? If so nothing happens....

View attachment 304963

4. The Rapids are engaged by moving the clutch lever to the side. Headstock side to travers in that direction and tailstock to travel in that direction. Sounds like many of the clutches are out of adjustment or need to be repaired.

John

Back to the problems....fixed the feed "strength" via the mentioned clutch adjustments but still can't get the feed reverse to work ...plenty of oil in the apron. Adjusted spindle clutch but still very little brake action. Still no rapid travel action. The saga will continue....
Latest update.... feed reverse not working due to a retaining ring that came off the end of the shaft that allowed the shaft to move out of position. Used a slide hammer to get the shaft back in position and installed new ring...all is well now. No rapid travel because it does not have that option ! Now to clean it up...

Back