Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I pick a 60 mm HS drill, put it in the tailstock, and make a hole. There used to be 75 mm and three inch Morse taper drills with the dealers but they’re getting scarce here, the big drills, not the dealers. Naturally I need an MT 5 quill tailstock and a lathe underneath, lathe of appropriate size. With smaller drill bits I also make a hole to turn it out afterwards. Not so complicated. Upon turning I have the choice between axial and radial procedure. That can be complicated for some, one example is my instructor who was confused when I reduced a diameter by radial plunging rather than axial turning. Can a machinist be playful?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    Can a machinist be playful?
    A SWISS Machinist? Playful? Slippery slope, that.

Next thing yah know, they'll want to genetically-engineer themselves a sense of humour and the whole word will turn upside-down !!!

The "French Girl" - HBX-360-BC - has 5 MT TS. Still and all.. nothing like the infrastructure to PUSH behind it that the 5 MT on the Alzmetall AB5/S has. Same 7 HP, BTW. Seriously different design to put it to use, of horses for courses, course.

There are practical limits to how much one can ask of a surfacing feed system a lathe designer expected to merely traverse a cutting tool, not plunge a large drill.

Same again with TS threaded actuators, FWIW. "Usually".. one will slide the TS, tight clamped or not, before damaging one. Usually. Still - wear and minor damage do accumulate.

Caze's is rack & pinion, but 5 MT or no, perhaps half or less the strength of the one on the drillpress.

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can be serious, honest. Ecocut tool right into it, through, and continue turning out. One tool. For me as CNC turner an everyday thing. The fat drill is just fun.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanola View Post
    The fat drill is just fun.
    "Fat" conventional helical twist drill in 3"-plus wasn't a lot of "fun" when the thickness of the steel body of a mine car was a mere fraction of the drill diameter. Use what yah got. F**k with it to make it work.

But that company really should have had a few more options in between twist-drills on a radial DP and use of a hor-bore!

Reaming, then hand-scraping very nicely made Bronze bearings (if I do say so meself..) back to cylindrical bores after pressing them in egged the buggers so very badly paid ME the same Union Scale hourly wage as anything else done that shift. But it should not have had to take so long, had we but been able to make rounder holes happen.