What's new
What's new

lead screw not engaging , where to look to fix it ?

rockcombo

Aluminum
my leadscrew is not engaging on my 10ee , when it is set in the up for threading , I can spin it by hand freely .
I am shifting it correctly and it was working for a little bit just enough for me to get half way in to a making a tool for work :rolleyes5:
it was was being picky to start with , and had to run through the shifting sequence a couple of times to get it to go .

this is my first time to thread with it , it is a 78 I/M machine and it threads great when it worked.

so where do I go hunting to fix it ? :)
thanks Brice

The engagement of the lower right lever is spring assist, that is, its not a positive pulling the gears in and out, except the feed gear.

Try this,
Run the lathe "in Feed" with the AB knob in A, the box knob in "1" at 1500 rpm for a while. This will oil the box up.

Then, with the "lathe stopped" reach down to the feed rod, rotate back and forth and feel the gear slop, place the feed rod in the middle of the play.

Then, snap the lower right "Feed Thread" lever over to the right briskly, you may have to do this several times.

You will see that, having the feed rod in the middle of its play, will allow the lever to go back to the left in feed easily, and you need that run from left in feed to the right in threads to worry that thing in.

The gear you are trying to engage is way back in the left end of the box.

Once you think that gear is in, rotate the lead screw back at forth against its gear play to be sure, so it wont pop out in use.

Its kind of tricky, but after the machine gets used some, and is all oiled up it becomes easier.

Things that will not help-

Rotating the spindle.

Rotating the lead screw, though, you can try a little jiggle.

And-

I find it easier to get into inch threads, after its in metric threads, by just moving that lower right lever to the middle.

Last edited:
thanks Donie
you where spot on , that got the leadscrew turning in short order . now I can get back to the bicycle crank puller I was making that used 23.35 X 1 metric threads (old stronglight ):)
thanks Brice

Help, I just finished my break in on my Grizzly 0776 the lead screw will not engage .
1st timer.
Jan

The engagement of the lower right lever is spring assist, that is, its not a positive pulling the gears in and out, except the feed gear.

Try this,
Run the lathe "in Feed" with the AB knob in A, the box knob in "1" at 1500 rpm for a while. This will oil the box up.

Then, with the "lathe stopped" reach down to the feed rod, rotate back and forth and feel the gear slop, place the feed rod in the middle of the play.

Then, snap the lower right "Feed Thread" lever over to the right briskly, you may have to do this several times.

You will see that, having the feed rod in the middle of its play, will allow the lever to go back to the left in feed easily, and you need that run from left in feed to the right in threads to worry that thing in.

The gear you are trying to engage is way back in the left end of the box.

Once you think that gear is in, rotate the lead screw back at forth against its gear play to be sure, so it wont pop out in use.

Its kind of tricky, but after the machine gets used some, and is all oiled up it becomes easier.

Things that will not help-

Rotating the spindle.

Rotating the lead screw, though, you can try a little jiggle.

And-

I find it easier to get into inch threads, after its in metric threads, by just moving that lower right lever to the middle.

Thanks for the tips.

Hal

Back