What's new
What's new

Looking for a 10EE back gear setup.

TheOldCar

Stainless
Anyone have a good complete gearbox (the one that hooks directly to the motor) for sale or trade?

I haven’t opened mine up, but major metal flakes came out when I first drained it. I only use the high speed as it won’t even stay in low. The shifter linkage has been adjusted to keep it in high without slipping out. Did I mention LOTS of metal shavings came out?

I made an offer on the first one but he won’t go less than $400 plus shipping. I really want the other one but it isn’t worth freight to me.

I do like the first gearbox bring open and clean, so I can see how good the innards look.
Is your motor shaft spline or key because the one he has for sale is keyed. The gear box that is disassembled has been listed at least twice the first time was an auction for 399. starting bid.

Crap, thanks for asking that! I need to check... Any way of knowing by year/drive?
Mine comes from the start of the square dials, MG and made in 1945.

Did do try calling Scott at Monarch? I bought a used one, WIAD style (Spline Shaft), for 300.00 several years ago. If you do call ask for Scott. The Lady who answered the phone was no help.

Paul

Crap, thanks for asking that! I need to check... Any way of knowing by year/drive?
Mine comes from the start of the square dials, MG and made in 1945.
I am no expert but if your pulley is keyed then the motor shaft is most likely to be keyed but if the pulley is spline then the motor shaft is most likely spline.

You do need to take your apart to see what is the problem I think that this may be your problem and where you metal flake is coming from see the wear on the one he has for sale.
s-l1600.jpgThose are not worn like that on a good gear box.

You do need to take your apart to see what is the problem I think that this may be your problem and where you metal flake is coming from see the wear on the one he has for sale.
View attachment 239955Those are not worn like that on a good gear box.

These are very helpful answers. I assumed gears must be the problem when dogs make way more sense. Freak, I'm glad he didn't take my offer!

Any luck locating a suitable Back Gear box for your 10ee? I had problems finding a box that was not too loud in reverse,
Fine pitting on gear faces seemed to be the issue.

Is that normal for the backgears to make a little noise when the rpm is turned up a little bit? Mine seems to be a little louder in forward instead of reverse. Can't hear anything when turning very slow. Haven't changed the oil yet to check for anything there like TheOldCar did. Thanks, also don't mean to take away from this thread..

Changed the oil and ran it again. Same amount of noise in forward and ran it up to full speed which is 200rpm in backgear. Then tried reverse, quiet when running slow, but as I increased the speed things started sounding pretty bad as far as something loose and grinding. Ouch!

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but how loud should the lathe be in back gear? I rebuilt mine with new bearings and careful assembly and it has a pretty loud growl. The backgearbox was in good shape for all the miles this machine had on it and I saw no issues. It seemed to be a simple gearbox and I have never had it jump out of gear, just loud. I never owned a EE before and just assumed that growl was probably normal. It is dead quiet when not in back gear, all the way up to 4 grand. No flakes in the oil or anything to cause a red flag.

Anyone have a good complete gearbox (the one that hooks directly to the motor) for sale or trade?

I haven’t opened mine up, but major metal flakes came out when I first drained it. I only use the high speed as it won’t even stay in low. The shifter linkage has been adjusted to keep it in high without slipping out. Did I mention LOTS of metal shavings came out?

My recommendation is tear this thing down so you know what you are dealing with. There is a lot you can do to tune this up and get it through your lifetime. Swapping a gearbox housing is a NON trivial exercise. Internal components may be easier. You can freshen with bearings, true up the clutch teeth with a file, etc.

I need two gears. :(:(:angry::cryin::cryin:

I will contact Scott... In the mean time, anyone have some for sale?

I missed the ebay listing last night.

Just need these two.

I never imagined they would be this bad. Worse than the dogs! "Powershifting" on the fly!

46450213801_2c946c4a82_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8052 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

46450214251_a9bb8bd894_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8053 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

I need two gears. :(:(:angry::cryin::cryin:

I will contact Scott... In the mean time, anyone have some for sale?

I missed the ebay listing last night.

Just need these two.

I never imagined they would be this bad. Worse than the dogs! "Powershifting" on the fly!

46450213801_2c946c4a82_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8052 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

46450214251_a9bb8bd894_z.jpg
[/url]IMG_8053 by crh2765, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wow, indeed you do need some gears. I'm surprised at condition as well...some serious abuse here.

What boggles my mind is the shoes on the shift forks have little to no wear. Someone really was grinding away at these gears... :(

Back