What's new
What's new

Looking for a cross slide lead screw

BugRobotics

Stainless
Hi all,
I tore down the '64 square dial's cross slide to do some cleaning and evaluate the cross-slide screw/nut. Looks like the nut/cross slide were replaced with some sub-par components at some point and I'd like to get them replaced. I have a new nut but don't have any idea about where to track down a screw. Looking for any leads before I make one. Thanks in advance for any info.

I'm being impatient and decided to try calling Miller Machine to see if they still offered the matched nut/screw combo. Turns out they do.

I'll be giving this setup a go but please feel free to list any other options out there.

I'm being impatient and decided to try calling Miller Machine to see if they still offered the matched nut/screw combo. Turns out they do.

I'll be giving this setup a go but please feel free to list any other options out there.

I'm not sure there are many options but from my seat I see:

Machine one yourself. While a significant effort it is totally doable and a good exercise using your lathe. Even worn, the lathe should be able to do it. A milling machine will be needed for an operation or two.

Buy one from Monarch, probably an expensive exercise, but guessing they will have an offer for you.

Buy one from Miller, probably less expensive then the above option, but likely will yield good results.

Scrounge ebay etc, one will turn up, but condition will be a point of concern.

Other than that run what ya brung with probably reasonable results!

And BTW, you ain't got no bugs on me!

Bugs.jpg

Machine one yourself. While a significant effort it is totally doable and a good exercise using your lathe. Even worn, the lathe should be able to do it. A milling machine will be needed for an operation or two.

Buy one from Monarch, probably an expensive exercise, but guessing they will have an offer for you.

Buy one from Miller, probably less expensive then the above option, but likely will yield good results.

View attachment 294615

Ha, those bugs are rad!

Yea, I hear ya. A part of me wanted to come up empty handed so I could have fun making/fitting the parts. In an effort to become more efficient I've started removing any avoidable detours from my work. I'm predisposed to spending too much time on projects that, although fun, don't yield me any profits and I make/modify lead and ball screws for my work every now and again so the mystique isn't there either.

I went the Miller route and look forward to getting it installed. In the meantime the 10ee has been temporarily reassembled and has been chugging away, patiently awaiting her transplant and secretly wondering what her owner is thinking as she could have gone on, like she is now, for another 50 years.

View attachment 294615

I got a quote several years ago for a 12CK and it was about $1600, I imagine a 10EE now would be close or maybe a little more.

I have a Monarch CY and buying from Monarch was simply not an option considering they want to sell the nut with the screw. My backlash was huge and cross screw was badly worn.

I bought a 24" LH ACME screw same pitch from McMaster and sent to a guy on Ebay that makes cross slide nuts for 10EE's and he machined the standard ACME rod to fit the new nut he made for my CY. It isn't perfect but went from more than .200" backlash to less than 0.005. It was the cheapest option. Certainly not perfect but I'm happy.

Back