What's new
What's new

Looking for Monarch 18 CBB parts/general help restoring

backspace119

Aluminum
I've found a 1942 18 CBB for an amazing price and I'll be buying it this week. The problem is it's missing the top portion of the compound (the horizontal cross slide and swivel) and I think it's also missing the lead screw, no chuck, but pretty sure it's D1-6, which I can probably find somewhere.

I'm not against fabbing my own parts for this, but was wondering if anyone knew where I could acquire originals, if they're impossible to find, some advice on fabbing them would be appreciated too.

This is my first "real" machine so I'm pretty new to this, advice on getting the lathe up to snuff is appreciated as well.

Any and all help welcome, thanks in advance.

This is the lathe in question:

20200807_123804.jpg

Thanks for this, I actually already found that document, has good info on the leadscrew size, after looking around, I cant seem to find one that big, so I guess I'll have to figure out how to make one.

Unfortunately that doesn't have a lot of info on the cross slide other than swing length and such, I'd like to find drawings if I can't find the part, might make machining one easier.

That is not a standard cross slide. Looks to be a tall version for directly mounting a tool post, so never had a compound slide. Likewise, missing leadscrew may have never been there. (Might be a plain turning lathe, not a general purpose engine/screw cutting lathe. )

I’d look it over real close before committing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is not a standard cross slide. Looks to be a tall version for directly mounting a tool post, so never had a compound slide. Likewise, missing leadscrew may have never been there. (Might be a plain turning lathe, not a general purpose engine/screw cutting lathe. )

I’d look it over real close before committing.

It does have a thread cutting gearbox though, so I'm inclined to believe it did cut threads, but was this ever a thing they included if it didn't? How hard would it be to just fab an entirely new compound?

How hard would it be to just fab an entirely new compound?

First you need the cross slide to have a place to sit the compound on.

The "squarish" hole is where you install the tee bolts to hold the compound base on - and swivel it as needed

Its a fairly slim item

DCP_0290.jpg

Don't buy an incomplete old lathe. If anything is missing chances of finding the part are slim to none and slim just left! Same goes for little Hardinge turret lathes, and Monoset grinders, I have been watching for and buying Monoset bits for 15 years and I still don't have even close to all the bits it takes to use it.

It does have a thread cutting gearbox though, so I'm inclined to believe it did cut threads, but was this ever a thing they included if it didn't? How hard would it be to just fab an entirely new compound?

A feed selection gearbox looks exactly like a thread cutting gearbox.

I’m going on ONE picture of the backside of the lathe. Speculation informed by experience, so take it for what it’s worth.

It “feels” to me like a production turning or possibly tracer lathe, but I do not KNOW. You SHOULD before you haul it home.

Reason being, if leadscrew is missing, all the associated parts in apron may be as well. If this is the case, put your energy into a better starting point. I hate being a buzz kill, but I wish somebody had slapped me on a couple of my projects.

Scott

A feed selection gearbox looks exactly like a thread cutting gearbox.

I’m going on ONE picture of the backside of the lathe. Speculation informed by experience, so take it for what it’s worth.

It “feels” to me like a production turning or possibly tracer lathe, but I do not KNOW. You SHOULD before you haul it home.

Reason being, if leadscrew is missing, all the associated parts in apron may be as well. If this is the case, put your energy into a better starting point. I hate being a buzz kill, but I wish somebody had slapped me on a couple of my projects.

Scott

I get what you're saying, I'm going to take a hard look at it on monday, I'm hoping that it is what I think it is, I don't mind fabbing a tool post for it to get it up and running, and then figuring out the compound later, but if it's a lost cause, it's a lost cause.

I get what you're saying, I'm going to take a hard look at it on monday, I'm hoping that it is what I think it is, I don't mind fabbing a tool post for it to get it up and running, and then figuring out the compound later, but if it's a lost cause, it's a lost cause.

I started out buying worn out junk because it was inexpensive. You can make it work with some time working around slop and missing parts. Slop can be worked around. Missing parts? But you spend a lot of time working on the machine and compensating for wear instead of making it cut metal. There are a lot of whole machines out there at a fair price.
Working on that Monarch could be a good experience. I remember my first buy and it was worn out junk.:o
You know what you can do and your skill level.

I started out buying worn out junk because it was inexpensive. You can make it work with some time working around slop and missing parts. Slop can be worked around. Missing parts? But you spend a lot of time working on the machine and compensating for wear instead of making it cut metal. There are a lot of whole machines out there at a fair price.
Working on that Monarch could be a good experience. I remember my first buy and it was worn out junk.:o
You know what you can do and your skill level.

I know my way around machines fairly well, and I'm young and have more time than money right now, so figured this would be a decent buy at $500. He also has a rockford engine lathe for $1500, but I've not looked it over much, it may be just as bad or worse.

I know my way around machines fairly well, and I'm young and have more time than money right now, so figured this would be a decent buy at $500. He also has a rockford engine lathe for $1500, but I've not looked it over much, it may be just as bad or worse.

I think most here had less expendable cash when Yonge. Its great that your applying you time constructively . Start with what you can. It all a learning experience.. I t seems like the larger lathes are going for less right now. For five hundred you cant really lose. Adapt something to fit.

Alright a bunch of pictures here, looks like it didn't come with a leadscrew but may be provisioned for one? Can only upload one at a time, so a couple posts incoming.
a70a298f49e7dc4a8115ab3ae8a24799.jpg

Sent from my Moto Z2 using Tapatalk

Back