What's new
What's new

Lottery Ticket - CK12

edl

Aluminum
Hey Folks

I have long wanted a 10EE...I think it is one of the prettiest examples of industrial design and manufacture

While narrowly missing out on one locally, I happened on an ad not that far away for a CK12 at auction - and, on an absolute whim, I threw in a real low ball bid - knowing I wouldn't win, I didn't do any diligence on the machine - and wouldn't you know it...I won!

it is supposed to be in decent shape and not a project - it is coming out of an aviation hobbyist's shop - about the only thing I know is what I can see in the 2 attached photos and that it is set up for 3 phase - i don't even know what if any tooling comes with it.....

it arrives tomorrow and I thought you might get a kick out of living through the triumph of victory or agony of defeat with me depending on what shows up!

it is not a 10EE...but it will be (sooner or later) significantly more machine than my current Logan 11 - that is if it is not destined to be parted out!

ThanksDoc2_Page_1.jpgDoc2_Page_2.jpg

Its a lovely machine. You will definitely love it. A word of caution. A lot of machines like this have a positive lubrication system for both the headstock and saddle and were not maintained. Check those systems when you get it. The saddle oil pump in located on the bottom left of the apron. There are a couple of screws to hold the cover on. The headstock oil pump is in the bottom of the headstock cavity and is difficult to get to. Best here to verify that the pump is working and not fool with it.

Tom

I love my 12CK. Yours has the apron mounted leadscrew reverse option, you're going to love that!

Even better, yours appears to have the powered compound feed as well. Quite a rare option, can't tell if it has a taper attachment but I'm betting that it does.

If you call Monarch with the serial they can usually give you some history on the machine.

Only thing I've done to mine is replace the thrust bearings in the cross-slide and then machine a new cross-slide lead screw and nut.

Please post your serial number when you can, I'm curious to see if it's older or newer than mine as the tailstock base and apron controls look different than mine.

For more than a decade my 12CK has been single purposed with one small task, and things have stared not working, several gears, the brake and clutch

sigh

It does some things I like better than My EE

fast carriage and cross slide movements

just not a very fast spindle.

It will take a quarter inch chip and turn a tenth

Hi Gustafson - I understand that there are ways to increase the RPM - did you try those (i think it takes it up to 1000 RPM...some posts seem to indicate an ability to take it even higher) and it is still too slow...or you just never bothered with those adjustments?

Hi Cole - what tells you it has the powered compound feed option? Thanks
In your second pic there's two levers, one on either side, of the cross slide dial. IIRC, those are for engaging the compound feed but it's been almost 7 years since I've put hands on one. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...lathe-history-data-242396/?highlight=Cole2534

I still have the drawings I made to such, but never did. As I recall in 1990 Monarch got 800 a piece for nut ans screw, more than I paid for the machine I think

never ended up bothering me

That's what they quoted me in 2014. In 2017 I turned the screw from 1144SP and used a chunk of delrin for the nut. Works pretty dang well!

Hi Gustafson - I understand that there are ways to increase the RPM - did you try those (i think it takes it up to 1000 RPM...some posts seem to indicate an ability to take it even higher) and it is still too slow...or you just never bothered with those adjustments?

Mine was a 600 rpm machine, they vary , and i think mine has larger pulleys than stock

A VFD would be the thing, but as I said, don't need it...

Am I correct in assuming that the cross-feed handle is after-market? - I have not found other images of this model with that type of handle...? I am guessing it is larger diameter to more precisely dial in movement?

Hey Folks

I have long wanted a 10EE...I think it is one of the prettiest examples of industrial design and manufacture

While narrowly missing out on one locally, I happened on an ad not that far away for a CK12 at auction - and, on an absolute whim, I threw in a real low ball bid - knowing I wouldn't win, I didn't do any diligence on the machine - and wouldn't you know it...I won!

it is supposed to be in decent shape and not a project - it is coming out of an aviation hobbyist's shop - about the only thing I know is what I can see in the 2 attached photos and that it is set up for 3 phase - i don't even know what if any tooling comes with it.....

it arrives tomorrow and I thought you might get a kick out of living through the triumph of victory or agony of defeat with me depending on what shows up!

it is not a 10EE...but it will be (sooner or later) significantly more machine than my current Logan 11 - that is if it is not destined to be parted out!

Thanks

Congratulations on the CK12! I almost went to that auction, certainly a few interesting things in that small aircraft / glider shop.

Are you in Florida?

Ryan

....certainly a few interesting things in that small aircraft / glider shop.

I know...right?! - i tossed in an equally low ball bid on that bridgeport mill...but no good...have a bead on an Index 645 instead...subject of another thread

I did manage to get a grade A starrett surface plate (don't know the dimensions yet...maybe 24x24) for $120...

The good:

1. sold to Pratt&Whitney Aircraft in Sept 1942 - this veteran helped defeat tyranny...I am proud to have it in the shop
2. came with a Style "O" Turret - basic 4 tool turret - service manager at Monarch says he believes that is why I have the larger compound handle...it does not look like a mere add on...seems engineered in - the turret is now gone
3. came with the "Air Equipment" option - an air actuator for the chuck...I have no idea if this is still there - need to open the head
4. This unit came with a secondary cross feed ... no longer there but the saddle is set up for it along with some gearing
5. came with a 2" riser option giving it a 18.5" swing
6. came with a steady rest...no longer there =(
7. factory sent me a copy of the order sheet (see photo album)
8. if pulley/orig motor still there, 24-1000 rpm from factory
9. came with a dial indicator...no longer there
10. have not powered the machine (don't have 3 phase or a converter yet) but the spindle turns by hand both directions while in gear - motor turns
11. came with a "high duty tool post" - have some sort of lantern tool post...don't know if it is original
12. came with some sort of quick change tool post (aloris? b size?)

The bad:

1. there is some wear in the ways near the head stock - I am not competent to judge how worn and I haven't measured yet...may not be a disaster...but definitely some wear
2. one handle is not oem and has been replaced...the others are oem but may have been NOM replacements? - so at least one handle was broken

The Unknown:
1. most everything!
2. looks like the original power switch was bypassed with a furnass fwd stop rev switch

Happy for any feedback from the photos as to what you guys see

Winning numbers: balls still rolling...

Back