What's new
What's new

Lubes

Brulow2

Plastic
Newbie here, I have a 1942 10EE and I need to know what the modern
equivalents of 10w SAE and 20w SAE oils are and where to buy small amounts. Also what way lube, and what grease for the motor bearings and where to get ?
Thanking in advance
Maurice

Following in part the thread in the General sub-forum regarding supply problems with Vactra #2, McMaster-Carr shows both Mobil DTE Oil Light and DTE Oil Heavy Medium are "temporarily unavailable" in both gallon jugs and 5 gallon pails. They suggest a substitute for the Heavy Medium but not the Light.

David

Old Dave is right. Vactra 2 for the ways/ Apron fill, DTE24 Light, get a 1 gallon jug. For top bearings, the three sight glasses in the top of the head. DTE 32 for the Gear box, Lower sight glass in the lathe and DTE 32 for the Two speed gear box off the motor. Also get a 1 gallon jug. Don

I don't think that DTE 32 exists. DTE 24 (ISO 32 viscosity) and DTE 26 (ISO 68 viscosity) are hydraulic oils, meant to work with a filter. See discussion here: link

Better than motor oil, but far from ideal.

McMaster has a Kluber ISO 32 synthetic gear oil that should be fine, but it's very expensive:
Klubersynth FB 4-32, SAE 32: McMaster-Carr

McMaster also has a generic ISO 68 gear oil in gallon jugs: McMaster-Carr

I'm sure that there are other options, I've just never looked for them.

SAE 85W gear oil is about ISO 68 viscosity and you can pick it up at Autozone, etc. for $7 a quart; anything from SAE 75W-85 to SAE 80W-90 is OK short term. A better option is to call around to local machine shops and see if they'll sell you a quart or two of DTE Light; big shops buy it in 55 gallon drums.

Cal

Back