What's new
What's new

Making a brass machine tag

John Bakker

Plastic
I thought I would share my experience of making a brass machine tag using ferric chloride, for my Monarch lathe.
The tag came out great, and is not that difficult to do.
The first and hardest step is to make a mask that is placed on the brass. The mask will prevent etching in that area. I used a decal that I cut on my Silhouette decal cutter. It was a lot of work to remove the unwanted sections of decal that will be the text that get's etched. I tried painters tape on a sample and it works well and could be cut using the inexpensive lazer cutter after the tape has been applied to the brass. There are other masking methods that can be found on line.
The next step is to tape the sides and back of the brass. I used clear packing tape. I then tapped s.m. styrofoam to the back of the brass. The styrofoam floats the brass and provides a good place to pick up the brass for inspection. I then poured some ferric chloride into a plastic container and placed the brass face down in the solution. I kept the solution warm by placing an old barley heating pad under the solution. The brass was etched for 2hrs and 50min. The 0.025" brass sheet was etched 3/4 of the way through. 1 1/2 hrs of etching etched half way through a test sample.
Next neutralize the brass with baking soda and water, remove the decal and it's done.
I polished the surface with a piece of completely worn out Emery cloth.
I used automotive oil resistant silicon gasket maker to attach the tag to the lathe.

My tag has decimal equivalents because I do not have the ability to cut threads. I put this lathe together originally just to have some basic machining ability. It works so good that I thought I should make it look good. At first it was difficult to identify the brand, due to the missing parts, but after some digging, it turns out that it is the 135th model A Monarch made, possibly as early as 1909.
f91d6a818b29d7f67cc350585707dfb7.jpg
447883b62db76135106f00d9789cefae.jpg
0426bde8597088f5594f795a710670cc.jpg
fa833356587c24c1dbc77ea107cf00e7.jpg
13552824776d947ba333bea0c4ddc1ba.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

John B

It turned out great, and makes your lathe more useful.
I would think it tested your patience to make your stencil.
Do your wood pulleys run fairly smooth?

Hal

I used a pair of tweezers to remove each letter and number. It was tedious, but I think these great old lathes should have their identification tags in place. Finding the original tag for something this old is near impossible.

The wooden pulleys run great, they are made of maple, so I hope they'll last a long time.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Back