What's new
What's new

Market Value? of Operational Monarch 10EE late 1960’s

Mac007

Aluminum
I’m looking at purchasing a 1968 Monarch 10EE with the ELSR AND TAPER OPTIONS.
The LATHE IS under power and operating.
No modifications to the original DC drive have been made.
One issue Spindle RPM “hunting” at the 1,000-1,500 range.

What would be an excellent purchase price please??

I have seen and experienced wild prices on the machines, and I just cant tell you.
If the module drive runs "at all" it will be easy to fix.
The point of most concerning wear will be and show, is inside the front bed V way, near the chuck, just rake your finger nail across there-a ridge develops. How much wear, well..
Another good sign is the condition of the small details, like the edges of the saddle top gets rolled over in battle.
A machine that has a lot of wear, can still produce very good results.

Condition, condition, condition: What is the history of the lathe? How many hours on the machine? Were those hours conducted by professional machinists, who one would hope, make sure the lathe was kept clean, and the ways lubed, and headstocok and apron sumps kept full with the proper lubricant..

Even a well maintained machine, with proper lubricants can and will accumulate plenty of wear..

I would do my best to ascertain if the ways are worn, or the saddle, the cross slide. Check the condition of the surfaces of the saddle.

There are many reasons for a lathe to have a lot of value and to not much remaining value.. Much more information is needed to answer your question.

DualValve

An 'excellent' purchase price is entirely determined by perspective.
for the BUYER... would be free, right?
For the SELLER... well, Monarch was selling fully refurbished 10EEs for well over 100 grand a few years ago...

I bought my '42 M-G machine from the Rock Island Arsenal DRMO for $750 in 'not economical to repair' condition. Took me $55 for a new contactor coil to make it operate on 240v... and I adjusted out some slop, and have been using it ever since...

I stumbled on. it from another thread, I cant comment on price, there are many where I am located.
The machine has the newer style headstock oiling, and the heavier tailstock. I looks like it still has original paint. Well equipped also.

As has been said - and proven - a 10EE can still make good parts with severe bed and cross wear. "Partial" fixes that address only the worst part of issues work OK, too.

:)

And as also has been said, one never pays for such a machine

when you buy a machine, you buy it with as little wear as possible, then run the snot out of it

One does not buy boat moorings for more than boat mooring prices, regardless of what else they can do

He is asking specifically what to pay for a machine, not what is the machine he owns capable of doing.

Purchased, Pick Up Friday

Owner & I worked out a deal & deposit paid. Picking up this Friday.
I will post pics of machine and all tooling by Fri/Sat this week.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Cat's the greater risk.

- No scrap value.

- Whole world wants to hammer yer azz to death you take a needle-scaler or a Biax near a cat or even HINT at parting it out.

- Only transmissible virus a machine tool ever carries is Old Iron Disease.

Well come to think of it....they got cures for all those OTHER diseases a cat can carry.

Guess it's about equal, after all?

:)

Bill [Thermite] Your comment resulted in me spraying coffee all over my keyboard..

From one cat-hater [almost] to another: 'NO Scrap Value'.. LOL
And chasing one with a needle-scailler.. LOL

DualValve

Back