What's new
What's new

Max. weight between centers for a 132 x 44 1956 monarch

FabCastMX

Plastic
Hi everyone,

We have a 132" x 44" 1956 monarch lathe in our factory and we are planning to use it for bigger pieces than what we are used to.

I've googled for the maximum weight of the workpiece mounted between centers but I have had no success. Any idea?

Thanks everyone!

At least in part, max weight will be a function of RPM, usually the slower the speed the more weight the headstock bearings will take.

A very simplistic approach is to look at the load limit of a good quality live center in the taper your lathe takes. At a minimum, you can use twice it's capacity as the lathe's total limit. The headstock bearings limits are significantly greater, so if you have something like a large motor winding, put the heavier section towards the chuck.

A local shop that turned shafts for the rotors of car crushers had to modify the tailstock of their lathe to limit quill deflection. They also made special steady rests that only had rollers on the bottom third points.

Hi everyone,

We have a 132" x 44" 1956 monarch lathe in our factory and we are planning to use it for bigger pieces than what we are used to.

I've googled for the maximum weight of the workpiece mounted between centers but I have had no success. Any idea?

Thanks everyone!

1956 is "new enough" that Monarch Lathe, Sidney Ohio, will have the original drawings, sales brochures, and all knowable specifications. Their files go back around a hundred years, after all.

If you have not already contacted them with the serial number of your machine and purchased its manual, that would be a good idea.

Parts | Monarch Lathes

If you have already done that, and still do not see the information you need - ask their specific advice.

They fix worn or damaged Monarchs, too, and will have a better idea than any other source on planet Earth what the realistic limits might be for any given Monarch lathe.

6MT SKODA center is rated at 7500 Lbs. Naturally it would likely run that for years. 15000 may not be near enough to suit you

A 24" dia solid steel shaft 11 ft long will weigh 16,917

Hopefully the lathe is at least a NN

Sort of related, but not a modern Monarch. Replacement photos last post if the PB links are hopeless
About 60,000 Lb part they claimed

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-l-s-money-maker-245127/?highlight=1918+Money

Thanks everyone for your answers.

I contacted Monarch as suggested and the answer is basically 5,000lb.

Back