What's new
What's new

MD 10EE stopped working

mrDouglas

Plastic
I am so thankful to have this forum to help with my lathe.

I have a MD 10EE with ELRS Sir # EE46586

Was running fine, never a problem. Recently moved it to a new location in the shop. Very smooth move. Was already on a heavy skid to raise it. Pallet jack roll 12' No bumps or bangs.

Turned it on to run it, no problem. Bring tool into work, and once under load it stopped. Now when I engage it, forward or reverse, (no difference) the QSD relay flutters violently, when the starter relays engage (2MF and 2MR)

Am I missing something simple? Where should I start trouble shooting?

Sometimes when powering up, the main PC relay does not hold unless I hold the green start button down for a few seconds. Will clean the contacts in that starter relay.

I have a very basic electrical understanding and I do have the manual for the machine.

Thanks for any help one might have.

Doug's Lathe is definitely a tube drive machine. I talked to him yesterday and he was planning on posting here with his problems.

This is his lathe
doug-monarch - 1.jpg

Pete

If is indeed a tube drive,just pull and reinstall all of the tubes and the diode box, check and clean the pins and that every thing fits snugly. I bet that will fix it......or not. :)

Sorry for my confusion in description. It is a Modular drive, if that term is correct? Tube drive. I looked it over again tonite for a moment and started taking some voltage readings as the manual and electrical schematic indicated.

More photos and info to follow.

Do the tubes glow, or just warm up?

D

Many troubleshooting threads for modular 10ees end happily after changing the C3J tube. It's in the "Troubleshooting for dummies" book. I highly recommend it, as well as keeping a few spares around.

I finally got to spend some time in front of the lathe. Removed the C3J tube, cleaned the socket, put it back in, and the lather ran.... Stopped it, changed direction, started to change speed, and it slowly, went went back to fluttering the QSD relay. It progressively got worse until it would not run.
Removed it again and no change. QSD relay fluttering.

I am going to get replace the C3J tube.

Carefully inspect the sockets the the pins on the tube go into.
Sometimes they get sprung out of shape and provide an intermittent connection as things warm up.
Also the tubes fail as they get warm too.
Always a good idea to have a known good spare in stock.

Bill

Back