What's new
What's new

Messy Monarch 14c

rhoward

Hot Rolled
My Monarch 14c lathe is a mess. Those of you familiar with this lathe will know it has an open QC gearbox and lubrication (oil) which drips onto the gears and ends up in the chip tray below. Over time this makes a very nasty mess of oil and chips and really trashes this otherwise impressive machine.

Does anyone know of a clever cure for this oil problem? One gentleman suggested, that for the gears, I use a spray lubricant that is tacky so it won't fly off. That sounds good but it would leave the bushings and shafts unlubricated. I was thinking of scrounging an old aluminum bake pan at a thrift store, put absorbent padding in it, and place it under the QC. Which would be a big improvement over what I have now. Are there other suggestions to try (no, I will not replace the lathe :-))?

Thanks
Randy

I put corrugated cardboard under the gearboxes on my South Bends. Every time you put oil in the oilers on the gearboxes the excess drips down. I throw the cardboard away when it soaks up full. The South Bends use felt to move oil from here to there, very ingenious, but excess drips down.

Another source of oil you may have overlooked is the pair of coaxial shifter shafts - that have packing nuts and packing to keep the oil in. These are immediately above the QC gear box. I had to make the several face spanners to work on the packing nuts for my CW16

Back