What's new
What's new

Metric 1976 10EE Monarch

1000EE-Monarch

Aluminum
A buddy of mine just acquired this 10EE. Made in 1976, serial 45906-R. What's interesting is it's all Metric! Anyone see such a beast before? First one for me, and I'm rather impressed with the number of parts are are metric-specific...

IMG_0279.jpg
IMG_0278.jpg
IMG_0274.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg

There has been "metric only" 10ee lathes on the forum in the past.
This machine appears to be an older style, close to ten years older then 1976. But, it certainly is an example of the company building the machines to order.
The factory should have record of it.

According to the Monarch serial numbers available via the top "sticky" this was built circa 1961-62. Issues with these serial numbers have been raised, including by John Legge. I've not found them to be wildly off. My understanding is that Monarch adds an "R" after the s/n when they do a rebuild. My hunch then is this was rebuilt by them in 1976.

As donie says "metric only" 10EE's have been reported here before. Many years ago Ole Steen (in Norway) reported having one, he eventually sold it.
David

Thanks for all the insights into this!

>> I thought that late of production would have a single sight glass

Yep. The 80's machine here has one sight glass, and all the 60's machines have 3 on the headstock.

>> This machine appears to be an older style, close to ten years older then 1976.

>> According to the Monarch serial numbers available via the top "sticky" this was built circa 1961-62.
>> ... Monarch adds an "R" after the s/n when they do a rebuild. My hunch then is this was rebuilt by them in 1976.

I agree. This is looking like a 60's machine that was rebuilt by Monarch in 1976. Be interesting to know if that's when it was transformed into a metric machine.

>> The interesting thing about that machine is it has a gov contract number, first "newer" metric only lathe with government origins?

I saw the government contract number on the tag and was pondering as to the significance... The entire serial number tag appears newer (as well as the monarch logo on the front). Seems those were updated during the rebuild. We really should check with Monarch see what the ownership and rebuild history is on this.

>> I remember the US "tried" to go metric about 1976...
>> Metric Conversion Act - Wikipedia

This maybe the answer as to how this machine came to exist LOL...I could just see someone at a government institution taking this Metric Conversion Act as reason enough to send the ole Monarch back to the factory for a rebuild and swap to Metric! Be interesting to find out for sure....

Thanks,
Alex.

I wonder if Monarch upgraded the drive from Wiad to modular while they were at it. Looks like the machine has the smaller tailstock quill.

The drive was originally modular, but, it may have been updated to the later modular lay out. The last configuration used Square D switches, and had a replacement for the OSD relay.
On machines with the later style modular drive, the "Monarch" logo plate on the right hand electrical compartment door is "red" instead of "black". The difference with the later drive is a little faster switching, and a more reliable OSD relay "the big coil" in the right hand compartment is replaced with a unit mounted on a board.

Another unusual thing about this machine is, no "Electric Lead Screw Reverse", as the threading dial can not be "normally used". The ELSR would make it easier for most operators to cut threads with the machine.
However, some more experienced with thread cutting operators might find the ELSR cumbersome to use, and prefer the more positive standard headstock switch and using quick reflexes become the ELSR themselves. Of coarse, I am referring to mostly having to thread leaving the half nuts engaged, and depending on the machines dynamic braking for stopping and returning the carriage.
There could, or should be, a chart showing the change gears needed to cut English threads located behind the lower left hand cover, the same transposing gears are used as to convert english machines to metric.

That's right, mine was a 1949 model square dial. Here is me with the all- metric EE back in 2006:
s!AixuXkj7rT9JmHoItR3PyjdMTjNF
1263187.jpg
Ole

I saw this lathe on eBay a while back and called Monarch on it. The R does stand for rebuild and the above posters are right it's an older machine. I wish I still had my paperwork where I wrote this all down but the rebuild was a conversion to a metric machine. It didn't make sense to me at the time when looking at the photos because metric machines have the extra detent lever which usually gives them away. This one does not have the extra detent lever and now I see why.

Which lever are you talking about? The machine in the picture is exactly like the -49 model I used to have "above the waist". Below it is different, with panels typical for a later thyratron drive. Could it be a "bastard" after rebuild?
Ole

See this timeline from 2002: History of the 10ee - Gospel according to Monarch

States module box drive was introduced in 1960. The 10EE with inch/metric was first shown at IMTS in 1970.

David

I seen that time line I think in 2002, and then purchased a 1983 Monarch ee, thinking yay no vacuum tubes! Wrong! it was 1984 when the solid state regenerative drive was introduced!
But, even though the 1983 was vacuum tubed, the solid state machine would have been a lot harder to deal with at the time.
I have seen no overlap of the module drive, seems to be January 1960 to December 1983.

I thought that late of production would have a single sight glass

Medfab,
I was noticing that too. I’m looking at buying a late 60’s machine and noticed it has only the one sight glass on the HeadStock. Can you or someone explain why the change and the significance of the change please?

I went and pulled up my notes from Monarch when I called on this lathe. It was originally born in 1963 and purchased by the Nolan Company in Newport News, Virginia. At some point it must have been sold because in 11-1976 Union Carbide in TN sent it back to Monarch to be rebuilt and converted to a metric machine. It must have been sold at least one more time because in 2015 Acurite Drilling in Elk Grove, IL bought a manual and belts from Monarch for this machine. As this thread shows it was sold once again in 2019.

I pulled an all metric ee from a gov. Warehouse in 2010. Super nice machine barely ever used. I’ve had fun running it. It was a 1977. I posted a thread here when I got it home. I’m not sure how how to link the post but the title was ‘metric only ee’ in 2010.

Back