What's new
What's new

Metric Placard for Square Dial:

Zap921

Cast Iron
This request originates from this thread back in 2005:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/10ee-60-53-transposer-pitches-100320/

Does anyone have a copy of Peter's placard that he made? I tried to PM Peter but his mailbox is full and no recent activity since 2018. rimCanyon was nice enough to help with some suggestions. The links are no longer working and I was looking into converting my 68 square dial to cut metric when needed. Also if anyone has followed this path please let me know how that went.

I tried posting on the old thread first but since it's so old not sure who would be subscribed to it and there were no replies.

Thanks, Nick

I have a real, as made by Monarch, plate that i can take a picture of if that helps....
Not installed on my machine as i am in process of a rebuild.....
Plate and gears came supplied from Monarch and i found them stanched within the tail stock end of the base.
Gears and the plate were still in the shipping box from Monarch....

I can dig it out and take a snap .
Might take a few days..
Cheers Ross

Peter's plate showed the threading combinations when using a 53 tooth transposer along with a collection of stud gears that differed in pitch by 3. If you read the thread linked above it should be clear. The square dial end gear design does not have a lot of space or the versatility of the round dial design, and Peter came up with a cheap solution for metric threading that worked within the limitations of the space available and gears commonly available from Boston Gear.

If any of you are familiar with using the way back machine, it might be possible to find a copy of Peter's threading plate design.

Alternatively, the op could use the Perl program I wrote, which Peter used to do the calcs and come up with the threading chart.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/monarch-lathes/perl-program-round-dial-metric-gear-calculations-99854/?highlight=perl

Thanks you guys for the replies! Yep, I'm looking for the exact replica of the image Peter had made for the change gears he listed to cut metric threads. The gears for metric 1.5mm thread pitch would require what selections on our square dial Monarchs? You could always cut threads with every selection possible in imperial/standard threads until you found it cutting a 1.5mm thread but an image from Peter would sure be a lot easier. Don't care much about a fancy placard made up just the info for the thread selections correlating to the right metric thread pitch. Appreciate the offer Ross, but evidently from Thermite those don't crossover the same, bummer.....

I don't think so. Read the post from 2005 which I linked in the first post of this thread. Don't remember a 127t gear.

60 T (cast iron) ... GB60B ... $37.61 (Quadrant)

53 T (cast iron) ... GB53B ... $35.06 (Transposer)

24 T (steel) ... GB24 ... $19.70
27 T (steel) ... GB27 ... $20.20
30 T (steel) ... GB30 ... $20.20
33 T (steel) ... GB33 ... $23.66 *
34 T (steel) ... GB34 ... $23.66 **
36 T (steel) ... GB36 ... $24.41
38 T (steel) ... GB38 ... $25.06 ***
39 T (steel) ... GB39 ... $25.06 ****
42 T (cast iron) ... GB42B ... $32.76

These are the main ones needed for the most popular metric thread pitches. I sent Boston Gear Works an email for a quote but haven't heard back yet. Also thought about 3D printing these as an option. Looks very affordable the way Peter figured it out with a small margin of error.

Last edited:

Back