What's new
What's new

Metric threading again

bob

Titanium
I looked at my EE today and its not clear how the metric change gears would mount. Can someone explain, please
Bob

Assuming a square dial the gears mount on and immediately after the reverse gear stud on the ouside of the headstock. It's kind of a pain to get to but there are about 6 SHCS holding a coverplate under the spindle (when pulling it be casreful not to tear up the papaer gasket), the reverse stud gear is the gear on the upper right and the idler gear is in the middle. Here's a picture:

end_gears.jpg

The transposing gear is mounted with the 14dp side in and the 32dp side out, and the stud gear gets one of the 32dp metric gears. I've no idea how to arrange proper mesh with the quadrant - even with the regular gearing I find that I had to tighten it up a bit and the remove the gear to get the final tightening done.

I hope that helps. One of these days I'll get a set of metric transposing gears for my '56.

When in inch mode, the 30 T, 16 DP "end gear" is facing IN, and the standard 60 T, 16 DP gear is engaged with it.

In metric mode, the 45/50/55/60/65/70/75/80 T, 32 DP "end gear" (sometimes called a "stud gear") is facing OUT, and the 127 T, 32 DP transposer is placed against this "end gear", using the "quadrant", about which the entire assembly pivots, for adjustment.

The 127 T, 32 DP gear is on a common shaft with a 60 T, 16 DP gear, which is under the 127 T gear, and is hidden by it.

The 60 T, 16 DP gear is in contact with the rest of the gear train.

This results in a 60/127 factor, which is precisely what is necessary for conversion from inch to metric.

The basic factor of the end gear train is 30/45, or 2/3. This factor is built into the gearbox.

In a Monarch 10EE, the first gear, the so-called "end gear" is a variable, as is the so-called "second gear".

The "second gear", if used, is always compounded with a 60 T, 16 DP gear.

The 60 T, 16 DP gear, as well as the following 40 T, 16 DP idler, and the 45 T, 16 DP "screw gear" are always constant.

"So how does it work on the older lathes that don't have the gear case?"

Should be the same.

The enclosed end gear case limits the sizes of the end gears in the square dial machines, hence the use of as small as 32 DP gears for many optional setups, including the instant case of a metric theading setup.

This limitation may not exist in the round dial machines.

AFAIK, the end gearing is the same, with the 60 T, 16 DP gear on the "quadrant" and the normal train being 30-60-40-45 teeth, for a 30/60 * 60/40 * 40/45 = 30/45 = 2/3 ratio.

Mine is square dial no gearcase. They must really be buried in there. Do you have to take half the lathe apart to get at them?
Bob

Bob says:
Mine is square dial no gearcase. They must really be buried in there. Do you have to take half the lathe apart to get at them?
I haven't had a real problem - I've gotten into the case without even removing any belts or anything. I'm sure it would be easier after removing the belts.

Maybe if you put up a picture of the outboard end of the headstock we could see if there's something unusual about your setup?

Here's an annotated version of the above manual page.

The quadrant gear assembly is moved about the axis shown, in order to effect proper mating of the opposing gears.

In a 10EE, there can be only one level of "compounding" and that is with the "end gear" OUT, and its mating gear above the 60 T, 16 DP gear.

10EE_end_gears.jpg

Back