What's new
What's new

Micrometer stop?

Jaymce

Aluminum
Ok probably a stupid question buy just how does it work? Mine is missing and I was going to replace / fab one up.

While reading the manual it is unclear (from my understanding) what needs to be done. It talks about a lever on the left and 1/2" incremental engagement points but I can not interpret what they are referring to. Is something missing on this machine?

Thanks in advance for your help.
f09b546166101f19473963a73ab8f575.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can't tell from the pic, ..is there a hole that goes thru that tombstone cover right? If not, you have a MFG model EE that doesn't have the micro stop bar feature, and you are SOL unless you find another cover that has this feature. If there is a hole, remove that big knob, you'll need to use a 2 pin spanner, clean the paint around those 3 sockethead screws and pull off that Tombstomb cover that has the RH , LH feed plate on it. When you get that off , you'll see the mechanism,(a spring loaded lever type thing) inside of the tombstone cover or maybe its missing ..post a pic. The missing rod has cutouts that engage with this lever thing to lock when you turn the missing rod. Surely there are some good pics out there of this.

I can't tell from the pic, ..is there a hole that goes thru that tombstone cover right? If not, you have a MFG model EE that doesn't have the micro stop bar feature, and you are SOL unless you find another cover that has this feature. If there is a hole, remove that big knob, you'll need to use a 2 pin spanner, clean the paint around those 3 sockethead screws and pull off that Tombstomb cover that has the RH , LH feed plate on it. When you get that off , you'll see the mechanism,(a spring loaded lever type thing) inside of the tombstone cover or maybe its missing ..post a pic. The missing rod has cutouts that engage with this lever thing to lock when you turn the missing rod. Surely there are some good pics out there of this.
The boss on the right top of the tombstone has a set screw in it. When I look through the hole for the micro stop I can see a square protruding piece. I was assuming that was somehow actuated either by spring or lever. I was looking for a lever on the left of the machine or on the left of the tombstone. I will check it out later tonight and maybe pull the tombstone ad check that out.

Machine has it's scars from being knocked around maybe someone broke the lever and replaced it with a screw or cut a screwslot into it.

To my eye the machine appears to have had one at some point holes are there etc.

Thanks for your input.

Ok, it sounds like you are only missing the rod. The rod has cutouts at intervals that lock into that square piece inside the tombstone. The rod has a little wing handle on the LH end that you turn the rod so the cutouts are off to the side so you can slide the rod in or out. When you get it where you want it, you turn the rod so the cutouts are on the bottom and the spring loaded catch inside the tombstone snaps into one of the cutouts, locking it in place. Make sense now?

Ok, it sounds like you are only missing the rod. The rod has cutouts at intervals that lock into that square piece inside the tombstone. The rod has a little wing handle on the LH end that you turn the rod so the cutouts are off to the side so you can slide the rod in or out. When you get it where you want it, you turn the rod so the cutouts are on the bottom and the spring loaded catch inside the tombstone snaps into one of the cutouts, locking it in place. Make sense now?
That makes perfect sense. I'll probably still pull it apart to get some measurements and clean it up.

Appreciate your time.

Here's a shot of the parts page for the stop housing:

10ee_l_f_r_01.gif

The rod is precision ground in the notches, when I checked mine it was better than .001 on each notch I tested.

I came up with a temporary solution.

I purchased a piece of 5/8 rod and a 5/8collar lock (Mcmaster 1511k13). I will mill a flat for the dial indicator. While there is nothing to stop rotation of the bar it fits in the tombstone very tightly and takes some effort to move.

If I find rotation to be a problem I will weld some stock to the collar lock and mill the collar stop to abut the area adjacent the tombstone on the gearbox.

230ee9b86d02e78992eb2ffd8888b9e8.jpg
62887761322fd1596a38a4b186dcc46d.jpg

Back