What's new
What's new

Missile Master Lathes: Series 170

texasgeartrain

Titanium
I was looking in a catalog and came across this:

327.jpg

The catalog:
Monarch Machine Tool Co. - Publication Reprints - Monarch Turning Machines | VintageMachinery.org

The pdf pages 16 and 17:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2103/19729.pdf

Machining a typical missile assembly :D :

328.jpg

A quick search and one is available close to me ! A mere $50k ! :
67” x 160” Monarch Model Missile Master 6750X156 Heavy Duty Engine Lathe

I expressed to my wife, that on name alone I need to own this. Apparently that didn't even rate a side eye glance. :D

I found an old thread from 2008 that touches it briefly:
1959 Monarch Turning Machines Brochure

Curious if anyone out there has an actual manual for one, other info, or experience with them.

Edit: thought it was near me, must be a broker. Supposedly the machine is in the North West US.

Ha, I feel like I drooled about that one on eBay awhile back. Guess they haven’t found anyone with a shop big enough (or with enough electricity) yet. It would at least be cool to see it in person just to say ya did...

Looking at monarch history here:
http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/monarch-History.pdf

According to it, the Missile Master was released in 1958:

"Missile Master Lathe introduced later part of year. This lathe was made to turn large diameter for missiles and was offered in two models, the Model 6550 and Model 8567. Each model had center distance from 48” to 300” by increments of 48” and its main spindle drive was 25 hp. It has an air tracer and constanent surface speed as standard features."

Curious if anyone out there has an actual manual for one, other info, or experience with them.
A guy worked with us once from El Segundo, his company made missile casings. I should have asked him more about the process but he had one funny story. He travelled a ton, missiles are an international product I guess, when the Soviet Union broke down he was offered a couple of air-to-ground late models, so he called his contacts and asked if they wanted them. Of course they did !

So how to pay ? He put it on his American Express card :)

$50,000 seems pretty high for something with such a limited use, to me, but I guess that's what they are hoping for, someone who absolutely needs that capacity. They may wait a while. Then two weeks after they finally give up and scrap it, that someone will come along :)

That needs a home and a job to do other than bomb making. The scale of its size is hard to see in the photo. The illustration with the man standing next to it puts it in perspective.
War has done a lot to advance accuracy. It would have happen anyway for advancing mass production of goods but not as fast.

The Missile Master is a cool example of special built Machines Monarch was famous for that they turned to market. I believe page 33 shows a more impressive machine. The Series 180 super precision lathe. Monarch built about 20 of these machines and as far as I can tell, much of the U.S. nuclear arsenal was contributed by them as they made the cores and triggers.

This brochure high lights Monarch at its strongest as it introduces the line of manual machines to it produced for the next 40 years, with its first publication of an NC lathe.

John

I have had the pleasure of putting a Missile Master into service, and running it briefly. It is owned by the California State Railway Museum in Sacramento, CA and was surplused by Aerojet General. It was complete and set on a foundation but was not bolted down or levelled. The 25 hp motor, control box and the hydraulic unit were not installed. A friend and I volunteered to complete the installation.

We bolted and levelled the lathe, mounted the motor which sat on the top of the hydraulic tank, installed the belt drive - which had six or eight C or D section belts. We did not have foundation drawings and the location of the hydraulic unit had to align the motor sheave with the spindle sheave. That required a bit of fancy measuring with a plumb bob and tape measure. I had to make special bolts using an Axelson lathe (which I fell in love with) because the belt tension was set by the elevation of the hydraulic tank. That required long threaded bolt shanks so Simpson anchors were not suitable. The mounting bolts were within the outline of tank sides so it was not possible to set the tank and drill through ears on the outside of the tank, hence the measuring. The holes in the concrete foundation were drilled oversized, bolts installed loose, tank set on temporary cribbing over the bolts, sheaves aligned, tank elevation set enough high to be able to install and remove the belts, and the bolts grouted with epoxy. Belt tension was set by lowering the tank after the epoxy cured. I don’t remember the vertical adjustment; it must have been in the range of 10”. Thinking some more, the bolts were 1”-8 and 18” went into the foundation. Each bolt must have been about 3 or 4 ft. long.

The museum had a parallel which spanned the width of the ways and that was used to take the twist out of the bed. Vertical alignment may have left something to be desired because we only had my Starrett 199 and Polish precision levels. We marked off (IIRC) 2 foot segments along the length of the bed and charted the vertical shape. A lot of trial and error later we declared a truce and the bed may have won.

At the same time, we straightened the bed horizontally with shop made jacking brackets installed on the foundation. We used a taut wire inside the bed and measured to details on the interior of the bed. The museum will use the lathe to turn wheel sets for locomotives and rolling stock and the alignment of the lathe is not super critical. They had axle lathes farther down the machinery aisle and these have to turn straight.

I know that we aligned the tailstock with the spindle. I got to run the lathe long enough to machine a 60 deg cone on a piece of 2” bar stock. Unfortunately, I no longer remember more details of the procedure. It is possible that we made an alignment bar of the length of the axles of the wheel sets that the museum intended turn and only aligned the tailstock at that length by tramming the length of the bar from the carriage or we may have borrowed an axle.

The control box was bolted to the floor about 6 feet from the headstock, and power and control conduits installed. A bit of troubleshooting ensued and fortunately we had a schematic. I unfortunately do not remember any details of the motor controls.

The Missile Master’s next-door neighbor was Niles wheel lathe, a big brute with IIRC a 50 hp motor, that was not in service and that may be the reason for the completion of the installation of the Monarch. The Niles lathe used full width form tools and the Monarch is not capable of form turning full width. The museum will use it as a tracer lathe.

Interesting, the Sacramento railway museum is definitely worth visiting. I went there on an Sacramento overnight with SW airlines, looking forward to going again.

Back