What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allen1953

Plastic
Monarch Lathe 022.jpgHi guys,
I'm new to this and have a question, I have up graded from a 40's atlas 12x24 lathe to a 1953 Monarch 10ee and would like to have an idea of what not to do to damge it. It has been up graded to new motors in the late 80's and seems to run very quite and smooth and has had normal use from the Hughes Aviation Co., then a streach in the air force.
Thanks for any info.
Allen

View attachment 72627Hi guys,
I'm new to this and have a question, I have up graded from a 40's atlas 12x24 lathe to a 1953 Monarch 10ee and would like to have an idea of what not to do to damge it. It has been up graded to new motors in the late 80's and seems to run very quite and smooth and has had normal use from the Hughes Aviation Co., then a streach in the air force.
Thanks for any info.
Allen

In other words you want to show off your lathe with its trick paint job.

If you look at the list of forums on Practical Machinist you will come across one called Monarch. Monarch built more 10 EE lathes than any other model and many of them survive. The Monarch forum is 10 EE heavy and that's a good thing for you. All of of your questions have been answered there, many of them repeatably, you can find them with search engines.

I could go through a long list of must and should do's here but it will be lost to future folks seeking the same information if posted in this, the General forum. Ask your questions there and there will be plenty of help.

Did you survey, find and repair all problems?

The first points to cover are lubrication, lubrication, lubrication. The carriage lubrication system needs special attention as does the headstock, tailstock and everything else. All new wipers everywhere and lubrication of the ELSR system too. Likely the feedrod and leadscrew end support bearings have old hardened grease that needs replacement. It's 60 years old and tarted up, it needs attention to details other than appearance. Survey the machine for flaws, repair them or learn to live with them. Hope you attended to all of this before the paint job, that is the very last step in a good approach.

If you've addressed all of these matters just ignore this.

The quickest damage you can do is by crashing it, don't do that. It is quite easy to do if inexperienced.

BTW, the chuck key does not go in the dauber well in the tailstock, ever.

I'd rather see a picture of his tricked out paint job than read another ass hole post from you,John.

You know,John,your problem is you can't teach an asshole to wipe itself.

why in the fuck would anyone pinstripe a lathe???
not hating, that's a great machine and all but seriously.

That's funny you say that Vanguard Cycle.. On the opposite end of the spectrum, I came upon a mechanically -cherry- Atlas 618 lathe to replace my beater.

But the guy had pinstriped it too!! And even stamped instructions on the bull gear and oil holes.

I had never seen anyone do this until I picked this up

And even stamped instructions on the bull gear and oil holes.
the instruction stamping i get, and have been guilty of as well. My machines are littered with p touch labels for specifics like blade length, oiling reminders, etc. but the obsessive 'prettying up' of machines is something i don't get.
after all, in a real shop environment the paint gets ruined in short order anyway so whats the point.
unless of course it's for decoration and tinkering and will see no real work, in which case get rid of that beautiful Monarch and stick a fully restored and painted SB9 in it's place.
again, not hating as that is one hell of a nice machine and i 'get' aesthetics and their importance to some of us in our shops but in my world you pinstripe parts not machines.

O.K.,guy gets a nice lathe and gets carried away with the paint job. That is still not a reason for the usual pack of pricks and internet heroes here to jump on him at his first post,and make him feel bad. What the hell is this forum? A gathering place for jerks and bullies,or a machining forum?

Besides,it's no more a bad idea that you buying a diamond and then making a ring specifically to HIDE the diamond,John. You yourself have poor aesthetic skills.

I would get a sanding block,get rid of all the uneven surface that shines forth,and paint the lathe gray. But,it's still a helluva nice lathe to have.

Come on guys...does there not exist anyone here old enough to remember Von Dutch and his striping on machines that we loved during our younger days?
I still have a full set of camel hair striping brushes and even a small jar of gold paint.
Those machines were called '49 Fords and Mercury's.

Lee (the saw guy)

You dont even know if it was the op that took that photo or painted it. It could be a sellers photo and its getting unloaded from the truck tomorrow or something and the guy doesn't want to damage his new lathe so is trying for some advice.
I'd ignore the people moaning and head over the monarch forum as suggested if I were the op.

The irony is John isnt apparently even old enough to qualify as grouchy to talk it away as old age :)

You are right,Mr. Fluffy. No one knows who painted the lathe. But no,he gets his ass reamed right away.

I hope this is not the way you jerks welcome strangers into your homes.

To actually ANSWER the O.P.'s question: Keep it in mind that the 10EE,for all its mass,has a small spindle. Do not go bolting heavy things onto the face plate and trying to run it too fast. That is how some of the contractor "machinists" screwed up some 10EE's that had been factory rebuilt at NASA. Do not treat the lathe like it is indestructible. Take off the little plate on top of the headstock and look at the rather small gears and spindle inside it. Beautiful,precision parts,but not very heavy.

Don't assume that you can run the 3 jaw chuck,or any other chuck,at 4000 RPM. That is strictly for collets. You need to find out the make of the chuck,and if it is a cast iron chuck,or a steel chuck. Not all chucks are made for high speed use. Most aren't,actually.

George I love how you troll me and then act like you're pissed at me for trolling. So funny. Huh huh johns ring sure sucks... I bet that'll get him pissed if I say that! Please....:rolleyes5:

I was right about this OP and his reason behind posting the picture. I always call out a phony. If he wants to show off his lathe, than just shoe it off. Don't act like you're seeking advice on how not to break it. Gimmie a break.

So many detractors; long ago machines were pin stripped and had style. People who designed them and built them cared about all aspects of their efforts including the aesthetics. I have perhaps a hundred tons of beautiful flowing dare I say sensual shaped machines and I would love to have them all gleaming with knock out paint jobs and pin stripes. That subject has even been broached with a friends father who is an old school sign painter / pin stripper. Battle ship gray is fine if that is your pleasure, it was not the original posters nor mine. I really enjoy seeing a machine restored with a cool paint job, the utility is not lost yet the whole feel of the machine is quite different.

Welcome to the new member and enjoy your new to you 10EE.

Steve

John,I'm saying those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. That's a hell of a way to welcome a new member. Get some education yourself before presuming to criticize others. Your mighty 5 years of machining does not make you king prick.

So many detractors; long ago machines were pin stripped and had style. People who designed them and built them cared about all aspects of their efforts including the aesthetics. I have perhaps a hundred tons of beautiful flowing dare I say sensual shaped machines and I would love to have them all gleaming with knock out paint jobs and pin stripes. That subject has even been broached with a friends father who is an old school sign painter / pin stripper. Battle ship gray is fine if that is your pleasure, it was not the original posters nor mine. I really enjoy seeing a machine restored with a cool paint job, the utility is not lost yet the whole feel of the machine is quite different.

Welcome to the new member and enjoy your new to you 10EE.

Steve

Meh....

I don't like decorations on machines. Especially not a 10ee, one of the sweetest lathes ever made. If monarch thought the lathe needed to be red and have fancy decorations, they would have shipped them like that. Would you like it if he had painted teddy bears and rainbows on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back