What's new
What's new

Monarch 10EE gearbox replacement

laminar-flow

Stainless
I have a 1968 10EE which works fine but have access to a 1981 model which is going to be scrapped. I was thinking on pulling off the English Metric gearbox on the '81 and putting it on my '68. will this work or is everything a "custom" fit upon assembly at Monarch? I was also thinking of the MT3 tailstock and the cross feed .2" per turn system. Any problems if I decide to do this? Thanks, Joe

I just checked with Monarch. Switching to the metric english Gearbox will require changing the lead screw, then the half nuts. No thanks. Too much work. I'll look into the tailstock though. Possibly the .2" per turn cross feed screw too. Any comments?

Well, I'm thinking on that. That is why I'm asking around to see if anyone else has done this on a 10EE. I just am concerned about getting intot a big project and having my 10EE down for more than a week. Also, what kind of accuracy compromises are introduced by having the metric english gearbox. Anyone know?

There is a market for used 10EE parts. If you have access to the lathe, or if its being junked/scrapped, it would pay to remove various parts to keep on hand or sell. I just went through 2 years of hunting for parts for my lathe and I'm sure there are others out there looking for parts. The toughest items to find were all the original covers. Some idiot had thrown all of mine away. Now I have them all but it took great effort to find them. I am sure that metric leadscrew and halfnuts would bring a pretty penny if you did not want to install them on your lathe. JMO
Jeff

Back