What's new
What's new

Monarch 10ee Headstock Removal

alcro1998

Cast Iron
Hi, I am about to start a restoration on a 57 10ee. For restoring and painting I am going to remove the saddle and threading gearbox. I have been contemplating removing the headstock.

OBVIOUSLY it is best the leave the headstock in place!

I however was wondering if it is ok to pull the headstock. Since it is indexed to the bed already will it repeat the same location once reinstalled or does it just not always work that way?

Thanks!

The deal is, you'll need to make sure that it goes back as it was and is accurate. You'll need a test bar and a couple of really good indicators. Not really applicable, but here is a thread when I did mine with a newly reground bed. Not a walk in the park. I used a special Moglice putty to seat the headstock, as rescraping the bottom to headstock to fit (possibly 25 to 50 cycles) was not on my menu. The ways were now much narrowed after grinding and really don't know if the headstock would even fit. And after almost 20 yrs , still as accurate as the day I did it. Headstock pics

Mine came in after 5-6 cycles in scraping. I had it off to grind the bed, and since the tailstock ways where the headstock mounts were ground in the same operation it needed a little work to lock in nicely. It gets to be a pain to scrape since you really need to bolt the headstock down to spec to check the alignment after each scraping after the initial "looks good for contact" scraping.

I'm not personally scared to remove a headstock. But whether you do or not, I'd run a test bar out of the spindle to see how true to ways it is. Spindle taper should be a #12 Jarno, but I'd measure and check. Brian Miller makes it:
Products – Miller Machine and Fabrication

Besides leveling the lathe, you just dont' know the history of it, or other factors like wear, how hard the machine was moved or bumped in the past. You don't need to guess, with a test bar you can see an actual number. You may find the alignment out even without removing it.

If you're stressing over the decision, a test bar might help you decide, or help you get aligned afterwards.

Honestly probably should have slept on the question before asking it. I will not be pulling the headstock since there would be no benefit to it. I will get a test bar though so I can inspect the machine more. Everything seems really solid with little wear. Needs a new drive and currently has a direct drive DC motor with a MASSIVE old solid state DC drive from who knows when.

Thanks for the replays!

-Chris

Back